Review by sblake26 -- Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sblake26
Currently Reading: The New Jim Crow
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sblake26.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review by sblake26 -- Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by sblake26 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dying Well" by Susan Ducharme Hoben.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben tells the story of Susan and her husband, Bruce, as they navigate through his terminal cancer diagnosis. The book begins at the time of diagnosis and chronicles their life together until Bruce’s death a few months later. Throughout the story, Hoben shares details about what is like to receive a daunting diagnosis that completely changes your life and future plans. Overall, this book tells a story about bravery and facing challenges with dignity and hope. I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is edited very well and tackles a difficult subject with grace. Hoben is a natural storyteller, and this shines through in her debut work.

My favorite part of this book was the author’s honesty. She does not shy away from talking about difficult topics, such as what happens to someone as cancer progresses, but she always approaches these topics in a way that is comforting instead of scary. She also candidly shares all of her emotions ranging from fear to joy, and her openness makes the reader feel as if they are experiencing everything with her. I appreciated that she shared her feelings that many people do not want to talk about, such as jealousy and regret. Her openness was inspiring and encouraged me to want to do the same.

This book spans over a long range of time, from Bruce’s childhood to his death. I enjoyed how the author gave snapshots into their life as a young married couple. It provided nice levity to parts of the book that were quite sad and made me feel a deeper connection to both of them. A large part of the book is also devoted to the couple’s relationships with their adult children and young grandchildren, and I appreciated this aspect as well. It gave insight on how people going through the same situation can be impacted differently and react in unique ways.

My least favorite part of the book was the way it was set up. Some of the chapters were very short, and it made the narration seem a bit choppy. At some points, this style took me away from the story. However, this is a minor detail, and it was the only problem I had with this book. I would definitely not use this as a deciding factor when choosing a book to read.

I would recommend this book to anyone, but I would specifically recommend it to people who are afraid of death or losing a loved one. Hoben tells her story in a way that is both inspiring and comforting, and she left me feeling much less afraid about the thought of death. While this book does feature a tragic story, it is so much more. I finished this book feeling more hopeful about the future and with a renewed desire to connect with my loved ones. If you are looking for an inspiring true story written with beauty and poise, this book is for you. I look forward to reading any of Hoben’s future works.

Dying Well
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”