Review by Imperio -- Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Imperio
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imperio.html
Latest Review: A Talk with God, published book, Amazon by Lisa Mullins

Review by Imperio -- Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by Imperio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Grace Revealed" by Frederick J. Sievert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert really blew me away. This book focuses on the phenomenon known as the Grace of God and how it has the ability to transform people’s lives. Through various personal testimonies, the author writes about trials ranging from abuse, addiction, career-related misconducts, family issues, grief, and more.

Grace Revealed is neatly broken down into chapters that cover these trials, which makes the book as a whole easy to navigate. Within these chapters, the author first includes a preface and personal testimonies. After each testimony, each individual includes Bible verses that resonated with them throughout their journey. Then the author adds his own personal comments about the incredibleness of each narrative before finally including reflection questions that can help the reader discover whether they can heal in the same way that the victim did.

Any book with the hope of advocating for religion can attest to personal anecdotes about miracles and the astounding grace of their deity. No doubt, hearing these anecdotes have the potential to be incredibly persuasive. But what really influenced me was the skillful inclusion of Bible verses that drove home the way in which Christianity is meant to save people just like the ones in Grace Revealed. After reading each testimony, it was the Bible verses that left me thinking.

For instance, one such verse read, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead. (Philippians 3:12–13)” This verse speaks of the need to forgive and move on, which was helpful to a victim of abuse in this book. As the reader, I read these verses, contemplated their meaning, and had the victim’s story to compare and see how the power of forgiveness was indeed helpful for this person. Reinforcing and reminding the reader that believing in verses like these will provide the peace it did for this specific victim was a very persuasive technique that became the element I most liked about this book.

On the other hand, I do think that the author’s recommendations could have been more specific. Each testimony in Grace Revealed was moving, however, the author’s reflections on each testimony felt lackluster at times. For example, in the same testimony that was referenced earlier, the author spoke about the importance of forgiveness but didn’t necessarily elaborate on helpful steps to take in order to begin the process of forgiveness. For non-believers who are not quite ready to accept the Grace of God, tangible actions and lessons are useful and necessary.

Despite this very minor qualm, I think that Grace Revealed is a wonderful, well-edited read. It is worth noting that certain testimonies report on sexual misconduct and as such can be triggering to some. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its ability to powerfully evoke emotion and relate to virtually everyone who picks up this book. For believers, this book would be very comforting through grief, trials, and personal tragedies. For non-believers, this book gives you many things to consider without being overbearingly preachy. People from all walks of life commonly question why terrible things happen to them if there is a deity who loves them, and the author neatly explains that in Christianity, “He will take what seems very bad to us and turn it to His good for His purpose.”

Grace Revealed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Reading your review made me feel like this book is for someone like me because I currently need divine intervention in my life. I appreciate your words.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”