Review by Leen282 -- The Cult Next Door

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
2021 Reading Goal: 26
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Review by Leen282 -- The Cult Next Door

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cult Next Door" by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am quite sure I have never met a cult member. At least, I was until I read The Cult Next Door: A Manhattan Memoir by Elizabeth R. Burchard and Judith L. Carlone. Now I don't know anymore.

The book is an autobiography, Elizabeth writes about her journey from being a confused teenager into an abused cult member. Early in life, she lost her loving father and grew up with a cold and distant mother. Her mother was very open to all kinds of new-age treatments and creative approaches to sort issues. She takes her daughter, Elizabeth, with her to a series of therapists, and one day they meet with George for a biofeedback session. George has a unique approach to finding strength and happiness. He manages to engage Elizabeth and many others to pay for both private and group sessions with him, multiple times a week, to be humiliated and abused. This abuse is needed to find the Energy. Once you possess the Energy, all will be well. Despite noticing that his words and actions were sometimes contradictory and only served himself, Elizabeth felt she had to continue seeing him for survival.

When she met Judith, she slowly started believing in herself again. Judith was patient, loving, and caring, all the while supporting Elizabeth to get away from George and his destructive group sessions.

This book opened a whole new world for me. Previously, I thought cult members would live together, separate from society, and do their own thing. One would recognize them. Elizabeth's memoir taught me that this is not always the case. She was a functioning member of the community, a bright student getting her degree, a young professional setting up her own business. Passers-by would perhaps notice a tired, struggling businesswoman, but I doubt anyone could guess what was going on in her life.

Elizabeth shares her story in this book, not shying away from awkward details and painful memories. I felt for her and wanted to get to the part where she gets away from George's influence. I cheered in my head when she met Judith. It is a definite plus for the book that Judith shares her story as well, so the reader can see both viewpoints.

There is nothing I dislike about the way the authors wrote this memoir. There were a few small typos, but nothing that impacted the reading experience. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Given some of the horrible experiences Elizabeth described, including sexual ones, I recommend this book to a mature audience.

The Cult Next Door
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JM Reviews
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jm-reviews.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by JM Reviews »

That sounds like a very emotional memoir. I haven't met a cult member either. I'd like to read this book. Nice review
Your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either :D
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

JM Reviews wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 09:10 That sounds like a very emotional memoir. I haven't met a cult member either. I'd like to read this book. Nice review
Thanks, it is indeed quite emotional but a real eye-opener.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: Triangle Black by Joseph Miguel

Post by Standor5865 »

Another story that generally emphasizes the importance of having concerned parents or great role models in one's life. The book looks interesting overall. I look forward to giving it a try.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Standor5865 wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 05:20 Another story that generally emphasizes the importance of having concerned parents or great role models in one's life. The book looks interesting overall. I look forward to giving it a try.
I am sure you won't regret it. Thanks for commenting.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

I've read and reviewed this book. It's a touching and great read. Nice review!
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live. - Annie Dillard
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 03:31 I've read and reviewed this book. It's a touching and great read. Nice review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting, happy you also enjoyed reading this book.
Rubbi
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Rubbi »

Elizabeth's story sounds quite engaging. I liked your review and I think I will consider reading the book soon. Thanks for the review.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Rubbi wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 18:05 Elizabeth's story sounds quite engaging. I liked your review and I think I will consider reading the book soon. Thanks for the review.
It is engaging. Hope you'll like it as well.
LinaJan
2021 Reading Goal: 18
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

This was already on my shelf but your review created even more urgency to pick it up! :D I have only just very recently learnt about what biofeedback was so I cannot find out how George employs it to meet suck wicked goals of his :o Cannot wait to learn his motives either!

Thank you! A beautifully written and inviting review :D
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

LinaJan wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 07:39 This was already on my shelf but your review created even more urgency to pick it up! :D I have only just very recently learnt about what biofeedback was so I cannot find out how George employs it to meet suck wicked goals of his :o Cannot wait to learn his motives either!

Thank you! A beautifully written and inviting review :D
Thanks, I hope you find the book as intriguing as I did!
Honest-reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Thank you for the nice review. This book sounds intriguing and emotional. I want to pick this book when I get a chance.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 08:43 Thank you for the nice review. This book sounds intriguing and emotional. I want to pick this book when I get a chance.
I hope you get to read it, I can recommend it.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

This book sounds emotional. That girl went through a lot. Great review!
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Tonika632 wrote: 15 Jun 2020, 12:08 This book sounds emotional. That girl went through a lot. Great review!
Thanks, it's indeed emotional.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”