Official Review: The Non-Art of Parenting by Patricia King

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
espo
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: The Non-Art of Parenting by Patricia King
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Non-Art of Parenting by Patricia King

Post by espo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Non-Art of Parenting" by Patricia King.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being a parent is the world’s hardest job, but it is certainly not an art. As Patricia King illustrates in her book, there is no blueprint or cookbook way to follow when it comes to raising your kids. There is only one rule: a parent needs to be their kids’ Child Executive Officer, or CEO. In The Non-Art of Parenting, Patricia King laid the foundations for her very own approach to parental leadership. As the mother of two accomplished millennials, the author believes that it is the parents’ responsibility to ensure the well-being and success of their kids.

The main argument pervading The Non-Art of Parenting is that children cannot raise themselves: they need parents to teach them everything they have to know to successfully navigate life and become healthy and productive members of society. While there is no universal recipe for parenting, the author shares a few basic principles for child-rearing. Each chapter contains a practical lesson that parents can implement in their everyday life: from learning the spirit of sacrifice to creating a strong support system, and from maximizing your involvement in your child’s life to making sure to maintain your household clean and safe. In each chapter, Patricia King shares practical tips that relate to the main lesson and can be applied to a wide array of situations. For example, she suggests ways for the parent to complete small household chores, while at the same time spending quality time with their child.

There are many aspects of the book that I truly appreciated. What I liked the most about it was that The Non-Art of Parenting is both versatile and down-to-earth. While advising parents to never step down from their CEO positions, Patricia King acknowledges that all children have their own personality, likes, and dislikes. Hence, parents ultimately have to carefully tailor their approach to parenting according to their specific situations, never forgetting the golden rule to appoint themselves CEOs of their kids. Furthermore, the author does not think that extraordinary assets are necessary when it comes to parenting: a successful outcome in raising your kids does not depend on your resources, but on how well you use what you have. These aspects make the approach presented in the book highly versatile and adaptable.

I also liked the importance placed on parental well-being. The author emphasizes that success in raising healthy and successful children hinges on the parent’s holistic well-being. While her approach is centered around the importance of having a laser focus on prioritizing the children’s best interest, Patricia King encourages parents to take good care of themselves and tend to their own emotional, physical, and spiritual well-being. She also urges them to continuously be on the lookout for resources and opportunities for personal development and self-growth.

The book is written very straightforwardly, and the way it is organized makes it easy to retain the information presented in it. At the end of each chapter, the author included a bullet-point list of key takeaways summarizing its contents: this encourages readers to pick up the book whenever they feel like they want to revise its contents. I must also note that the book seems professionally edited, since I only came across a couple of errors.

There was nothing I disliked about The Non-Art of Parenting. Hence, it gains a perfect score of 4 out of 4 stars. While I am not a parent at the moment, I certainly want to have kids in the future. When it is time, I will be sure to pick up this book again to benefit from the immensely useful resources it offers. I recommend it to parents or readers who are interested in parenting. I think that Christian parents will especially benefit from reading this book, as Christian principles are the spiritual foundations of the author’s approach.

The Non-Art of Parenting
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Irene_A
2019 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

I truly appreciate your review!! I definately look forward to reading this book. Glad the author advocates for parents to take care of themselves as well while raising their children.

gabrielletiemi
Currently Reading: Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielletiemi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by gabrielletiemi »

This book has a different and unique perspective on parenting. I liked that the author also gave some practical advice. Sounds like an interesting book, Thanks for the great review!

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Christieee »

I like that this book recognizes just how difficult raising children is, and doesn’t generalize her technique. It is a lovely piece.
Thanks for the insightful review.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Ellylion »

Seems to be a great read for parents and parents to be. I liked the part about self-improvement for parents to give children a necessary emotional support and not only. Amazing review!

diana lowery
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: you gotta ask for the order by steve cina
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by diana lowery »

I think that if you, as a non-parent, can enjoy reading this book, it must be very well done. It sounds like there is a lot of practical advice.

espo
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: The Non-Art of Parenting by Patricia King
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

Irene_A wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 05:36
I truly appreciate your review!! I definately look forward to reading this book. Glad the author advocates for parents to take care of themselves as well while raising their children.
I liked that too - self-care is pivotal! Thank you for your kind comment!
gabrielletiemi wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 07:05
This book has a different and unique perspective on parenting. I liked that the author also gave some practical advice. Sounds like an interesting book, Thanks for the great review!
Practical tips are one of my favorite aspects of the book. Thank you!
Christieee wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 06:14
I like that this book recognizes just how difficult raising children is, and doesn’t generalize her technique. It is a lovely piece.
Thanks for the insightful review.
Thank you for your kind comment, Christie!
Ellylion wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 11:08
Seems to be a great read for parents and parents to be. I liked the part about self-improvement for parents to give children a necessary emotional support and not only. Amazing review!
it really is. thank you for your appreciative remarks!
diana lowery wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 07:19
I think that if you, as a non-parent, can enjoy reading this book, it must be very well done. It sounds like there is a lot of practical advice.
Absolutely! I will definitely have it at hand when I will have kids of my own. Thanks for your comment!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Seroney_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seroney.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Seroney_ »

Parenting ain't a walk in the park. Am glad this book provide exploits that parents will find it vital. Great review

jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by jennydelacruz »

Thanks for your detailed review of the book, I might consider reading this.

The book resonates with what I have learned from Gayle King (Oprah's bestie). She said that you cannot have the same and standard way of parenting to your kids. You have to understand them to teach them and guide them. There's no universal or standard checklist that we need to have as parents, we really have to tailor our approach to each of our kids (if we have one, we tailor our approach based on his/her personality).

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by NetMassimo »

Parenting is complicated, clear and practical suggestions can help parents in their task day after day. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Garden Gnome Adventures by Jay Atkinson

Post by Tomah »

I don't plan on having kids and I'm not a Christian, so this book likely isn't for me, but it could certainly be helpful to parents and people hoping to be parents in the future. Thanks for the review!

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: The Red Door - Where Hurt and Holiness Collide
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: A Short History of Significant American Recessions, Depressions, and Panics by Scott Belford

Post by Juliet+1 »

I love that title "Child Executive Officer," which abbreviates so neatly to CEO. And I like the idea of a flexible approach; each child is indeed unique. Thanks for a great review!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Anxious for Answers
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Online Meeting Survival Guide by Paul Richards

Post by MsH2k »

Seroney_ wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 05:22
Parenting ain't a walk in the park.
:ditto: But it sure is rewarding!
Great review, espo!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A clock with Feet by Miss Henny

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book to help with raising your children. I don't have any, so I doubt I'll pick this one up. Thanks for your thoughts, though.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Usma Khann »

Definitely targeted towards parents and parents-to-be to guide them with practical advice on parenting. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”