Official Review: The Rapture of The Church has been Cance...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Anxious for Answers
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Online Meeting Survival Guide by Paul Richards

Official Review: The Rapture of The Church has been Cance...

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rapture of The Church has been Canceled" by Walter H. Mosby II.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Validating whatever you read or hear is important regardless of the topic. Walter H. Mosby II was motivated to write this book because he believed many Christians accepted anything their pastor said without confirming it in the Bible. In The Rapture of The Church Has Been Canceled, he covers six topics that vary in practice or interpretation within the Christian community: the sabbath day, water baptism, communion, spiritual gifts, the rapture, and how Jesus actually looked. Simple stuff, right?

What I liked most about this book is one can read it and reinforce what they believe regarding these topics, or they can research further if something they read raises a question. It is rarely a bad thing to search for answers to your questions.

Unfortunately, I do not think the author sufficiently addressed any of the six topics in this twenty-three-page book. I most disliked that I was still unclear about his position on a subject when I finished a chapter. Sometimes it felt like he was creating conflicts when there really weren’t any.

An example was the chapter on baptism. It started by debating whether one should baptize in the name of Jesus or in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. The brief discussion on this topic contained many facets including baptism by sprinkling versus being submerged, the meaning of the Greek text in the Gospel of Matthew, and changes instituted by Constantine the Great. By the end of the chapter, I was confused about the author’s position. There was nothing that appeared to dispute the instructions given in Matthew to baptize in the name of the Trinity.

I also recommend adding references for information the author shares that is not found in the Bible. For example, in the chapter on the rapture, the book states that eleven of the twelve apostles were martyred and the Apostle John was boiled in oil. The Bible does not cover how the apostles died, so it would be helpful if the author included a reputable reference for these statements.

I rate The Rapture of The Church Has Been Canceled 2 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because of the number of grammatical errors. The most common errors were unmatched quotation marks and parentheses. I deducted a second star because of the excessive use of all caps and terms placed in quotation marks. By emphasizing words in this way, the author conveyed a condescending tone towards ideas he considered erroneous. Another reason for deducting the second star was the lack of fully addressing the topics. This read may appeal to Christians who are interested in comparing different interpretations of these issues. The topics are interesting, but the discussions need more exposition.

The Rapture of The Church has been Canceled
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

ANVO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by ANVO »

Books that touch on the subject of belief in this manner can be troubling for me. I don’t think it is something I’d like to read. This is a nice review though. Thank you.

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

ANVO wrote:
13 Jun 2020, 11:35
Books that touch on the subject of belief in this manner can be troubling for me. I don’t think it is something I’d like to read. This is a nice review though. Thank you.
Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Elvis Best »

A controversial title, but it seems the author ends up rather confusing his readers than winning them over to his side.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

Ekabajong wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 05:54
A controversial title, but it seems the author ends up rather confusing his readers than winning them over to his side.
Yes, you could easily be left with more questions than when you began.
Thank you for your visit.

Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Elvis Best »

MsH2k wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 17:48
Ekabajong wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 05:54
Yes, you could easily be left with more questions than when you began.
Thank you for your visit.
Sad to hear that. Keep up the great work.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I am not one to ever pick religious books but this one sounds like an interesting take. Shame that the author seems to have lacked in making his position clear. Still, might even consider reading this for I know nothing about the bible to it could be educational for me :)
Thank you for such a thorough review!

Tonika632
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Tonika632 »

I agree with you; it has to be discussed more professionally. I have a hard time reading with all that quotation marks and caps on. Great review!

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

LinaJan wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 03:25
I am not one to ever pick religious books but this one sounds like an interesting take. Shame that the author seems to have lacked in making his position clear. Still, might even consider reading this for I know nothing about the bible to it could be educational for me :)
Thank you for such a thorough review!
I would wait until another round of editing on this one if you are new to the Bible. The author has some work to do to strengthen his cases. There’s a very good chance you would come away more confused than when you started. :shock: Thanks so much for your visit and for your comment!

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

Tonika632 wrote:
15 Jun 2020, 12:05
I agree with you; it has to be discussed more professionally. I have a hard time reading with all that quotation marks and caps on. Great review!
It’s amazing how reading all caps can make your ears hurt! It was interesting to see which topics the author chose to address in this book. I hope he takes more time to discuss them in the next iteration. Thanks for your visit!

ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: El Paso by Michael Van Cleve
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

That was such an intriguing title that I wondered if it was fiction! As you astutely note, it would be hard to deal thoroughly with all those topics in just 23 pages. I'm not surprised you were left unenlightened. Great review, though!

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 02:39
That was such an intriguing title that I wondered if it was fiction! As you astutely note, it would be hard to deal thoroughly with all those topics in just 23 pages. I'm not surprised you were left unenlightened. Great review, though!
I know what you mean about the title. I paused for a minute before I read the blurb! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Adanna Inya »

A lot of church goers see their pastors as gods. They consume whatever they're told, hook, line, and sinker. I'm glad that the author brings Christians to an awakening of knowing God for themselves. However, I wish that the author made his stands clear at the end of each topic. Beautiful review.

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

Adanna Inya wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 11:07
A lot of church goers see their pastors as gods. They consume whatever they're told, hook, line, and sinker. I'm glad that the author brings Christians to an awakening of knowing God for themselves. However, I wish that the author made his stands clear at the end of each topic. Beautiful review.
I think if the author would revisit the topics and take more time to establish his position, it would greatly improve this book’s ability to challenge the reader. Thank you for your comments.

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: ODIN
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Emilia Rose and the rainbow adventure by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Condescension towards topics deemed erroneous can happen so easily when writers are passionately devout about certain clumps of material, so I can picture exactly what you mean in that regard. It also seems that for those souls in life who are determined to ‘follow,’ they rarely seek to question any statement uttered by a mentor or perceived leader. What a fascinating theme to explore - thanks for your lovely review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”