Official Review: A Brief History of Ufology : 1941&ndash...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1098
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: From Muslim to Christ by Saudah Mya Alqawiyy

Official Review: A Brief History of Ufology : 1941&ndash...

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Brief History of Ufology : 1941–2011" by Barry Roth.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do unidentified flying objects imply? Are we really alone in the universe? Do we occupy the highest hierarchy when it comes to intelligence? These are some questions raised as the author presents many documented UFO sightings from various places across the globe, reported abductions, and plant circles that could not be explained.

The history of unidentified flying objects in this book starts during World War II. The author acknowledges that picking a timeline to start from was challenging as UFO sightings have been reported for many centuries. The reason for picking WWII was adequately explained and thus one of the questions that readers could probably ask as they read the book was answered. During the Second World War, military fighter and bomber aircraft pilots from both the Allied and Axis sides witnessed objects they termed as ‘Foo Fighters’. Whose side were they supporting? Could these objects be destroyed? Where was the earliest sighting of these mysterious balls of light made?

A Brief History of Ufology: 1941-2011 (Significant UFO Events Throughout the Modern Era) was authored by Barry Roth. The book is 286 pages long and comprises ten chapters. The author’s goal is to enlighten and encourage readers to be healthy skeptics. The book entails UFO sightings as well as some of their impact on diverse systems. What is even more appealing is that the author includes a comprehensive bibliography and photos as well.

What I liked most was that the book began on a high note with statements from various eyewitnesses. Some acknowledged the fact that UFO sightings are causing headaches to security apparatuses internally, but they always deny their existence in the public. My interest was, therefore, piqued from the start to the end. The goal of the author was also achieved, especially through the chronicling of physical traces of landings and effects that developed on people and vegetation that came into close contact with unidentified flying objects. The mysterious disappearance of a pilot who had radioed to report he was being followed by an unusual object also had an immense impact on my stand. This book not only helps readers to question the existence of sophisticated technologies and extraterrestrial life forms but also the consequences this reality presents. Are these sightings to be ignored because of security concerns?

Whereas there are many things that I liked about the book, I disliked most the inclusion of incidences that had been later recanted by witnesses. It would have been considerably better to include only sightings that remained valid, especially those whose witnesses had not recanted them. This is due to personal preference, though, and they did not detract from the general enjoyment of the book.

The book was written employing a straightforward language. The inclusion of attempts to study UFO by government agencies and eventual discrediting of witnesses gave a thoughtful touch to the subject as well. The book was professionally edited, but I discovered a few grammatical errors. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The errors were minor in nature and thus did not warrant the deduction of a star. I recommend the book to all ardent fans of ufology.

A Brief History of Ufology : 1941–2011
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: The Vanishing
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Words Without Song by Martin Knox (Ireland Author)

Post by Laura Lee »

This sounds fascinating! I live in Ecuador where the government has been very forth-coming about reported UFO sightings. I believe I saw one once, too. It's the only explanation I have for the speed and maneuverability that denies conventional aircraft. Thanks for your interesting review. I'm going to check out this book!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Becoming A Joy Fulfilled Christian in the Twenty-First Century and Beyond by Franklin D. R. Jackson

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

The idea of extraterrestrial beings has never sounded real to me even with the thousands of so-called UFO sightings. I don't think this book is for me. Great review though!

alavirafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alavirafi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by alavirafi »

Oh another book on the UFOs!! Seems fascinating. I really like al those books on fantasies. I think in this book the author tried to induce a belief of UFOs into us. Would like to check it out. Thanks for the great review.

Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Samgum50 »

I think that it would be interesting to read this book as it explores an area of interest for me, UFO's. I've always been fascinated by them and the idea that there could be the existence of extraterrestrials. Great review!

damis
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: G.A.S. & Dementia by Joanne Berrigan

Post by damis »

I don't really think this is the right book for me, but I enjoyed your review. Great job!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”