Review by H2ngo -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
H2ngo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h2ngo.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by H2ngo -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by H2ngo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones is an inspiring autobiography that walks through the successive entrepreneurial pursuits of a man as he takes on numerous different projects throughout his life. Jorge P. Newbery writes of his journey in business, beginning with his first job as a seven-year-old paperboy. With each new business prospect that he sets his sights on, Newbery aims for success and improvement. Throughout his journey, Newbery finds himself to be the victim of frequent failures, but rather than staying down after a hard hit, he always manages to get back on his feet. He views these setbacks as learning opportunities, rather than failures, and uses these lessons to help him improve his future experiences. This book employs the persistent and motivated voice of a man who always strives for more.

I found this book to be extremely emotionally and mentally rewarding. My favorite part of the book would have to be the inspiring voice of the main character. Through the highs and lows of his life, Newbery remains optimistic, always searching for opportunities to aim bigger and to do better. While reading, I found this optimism and this constant motivation to be contagious. It made me feel like I was capable of more and that, with the same strong work ethic, those levels of success could potentially be within my grasp as well.

Among the multitudes of praise, there was one aspect of this book that did not exceed my expectations. I disliked the seemingly unsympathetic tone of the main character. Throughout the majority of the book, Newbery seems a bit emotionally unattached as a character. His parents are always very supportive of his endeavors, while he rarely, if ever, shows any signs of returning the care that they give. While he uses his developed wealth to help his family financially, there never seems to be any emotional ties to his actions. Additionally, he is extremely business-oriented and does not seem to care for any of his associates, even the ones that he considers to be his friends. Even when he meets his wife, the description of their love story does not reflect any of the strong emotions that I would expect a husband to have for his wife. The lack of compassion that Newbery displays makes his character seem inhumane at times and less relatable to a reader, such as myself.

Overall, I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book was very well-edited, with only a couple of perceivable grammar mistakes. The general story had the desired effect of motivating and impressing me, as a reader, through Newbery’s relentless determination and unwavering growth mindset. Although I was a little disappointed by the lack of emotion in the tone, this flaw was greatly overshadowed by the impressive themes and stories within the book. Due to the intriguing plot, inspirational tone, and general lack of errors, I believe that this book deserves nothing less than the full 4 star-rating.

The main theme of this book shines through its main character’s mission to never give up and to always strive to be his best and most accomplished self. For this reason, I would classify this book as an inspirational autobiography. Due to multiple instances of profanity throughout the book, I would say that it is meant to be read by an adult audience. In conclusion, I would recommend this book to adults who are searching for proof that hard work and dedication can pay off.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”