Review by Mcjones1 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mcjones1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcjones1.html
Latest Review: Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Review by Mcjones1 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mcjones1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is the biography of Jorge Newbery. Jorge discusses his life by describing his entrepreneurial pursuits throughout his life, starting at just 7 years old. He starts out with a paper route and goes through many different ventures including selling ice cream, renting stage equipment for concerts, entering the world of professional cycling, and real estate. His business ventures eventually led him to be a very successful businessman, until an unfortunate series of events made everything in his life come crashing down. This book is an inspirational story about a man with a go-getter spirit who overcomes adversity to rise back up from the ashes.

The title, Burn Zones, comes from a cycling term meaning a portion of the race where you have to push through pain in order to keep moving forward. My favorite thing about this book was the description of the "burn zones" the author went through at various stages of his life. The story takes us through the author's life from the time he was a young boy until he is in his 40s. The author did a great job making the reader feel what he was feeling through his descriptions. I even cried when he described the passing of his father.

Another thing I really liked about the story was the author's depictions of how minorities are often treated unfairly and the perceptions that people have of lower-income neighborhoods. I felt that he stated his position and gave details without being overly political or polarizing.

There wasn't anything I didn't like about this book. The book was inspirational and very satisfying to read. The author gave enough description to bring the reader into his world, without overwhelming the reader with flowery language. Although he was involved in things that I don't have a lot of background in, such as bicycle racing, punk rock, and real estate, I was still able to relate to the challenges and struggles faced by the author.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a quick and easy read. Also, the story was entertaining and the author's style was approachable to people at all levels of society. The book was well written and interesting.

I would recommend this book for anyone who likes biographies, inspirational stories, or books that describe human nature. I felt drawn into the author's story from the first pages, and I didn't want to put this book down until the very end.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”