Official Review: The Blue House by Michael Simmons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Miami '90: 2Paths2 Murder by Daniel F. Solomon

Official Review: The Blue House by Michael Simmons

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blue House" by Michael Simmons.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you believe that everything in life happens for a reason? If you do, then you'll connect effortlessly to Michael Simmons' story as narrated in The Blue House. If you don't, then you may want to reconsider your stance after reading this book.

As a little child at the age of 6, Michael had the world at his feet. His parents, two siblings, and himself lived in a blue house in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas. Here, life was simple and enjoyable. They weren't so rich, neither were they poor. They had enough to live as a happy family. However, a DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) offense led to his dad losing his job. The job loss ushered the family into a period of financial struggle. They had to move out of the blue house. Thus, a remarkable life journey began for Michael. How did it all end for him? Did he come back to the blue house again?

This is one of the few memoirs that have kept me glued to them till I finished. There were no moments of thrill and spark in the author's story. However, his witty and simplistic writing style made the six hours I spent reading the book worth it. I was so engrossed in the author's life story that I couldn't wait to see how it all ended. I was often tempted to jump to the end, but the progressive way the story developed kept me in line. I would say that the author did a fantastic job in this memoir.

This book did evoke many emotions in me. At different times I was happy, sad, angry, hopeful, and smiling. I was particularly unhappy every time the dad showed up in the picture. He was abusive and irresponsible most of the time. I'm a strong advocate against parents abusing and molesting their children. If you are like me, I'm sure you would feel the same way I felt about Mike's dad. The ups and downs made my emotions swing from left to right. This, for me, is a good recipe for a complete story. The author did an excellent job of serving the emotional aspect of this book with a gold dish.

What I liked most was the respect the author showed other religions other than his in this book. Though this book was written on the foundation of the Christian faith and beliefs, the author never disregarded people from other religions. I was impressed with his relationship with his Jewish friend, Abe. The way he narrated their relationship without insulting the Jewish religion was commendable.

Another thing that is worthy of note was the practical application guides at the end of each chapter. This part of the book was put together by Dr. Daniel Middlebrooks. Every section of the chapter was summarized to enable the reader to connect to the author's story on a personal level. The questions were both interactive and engaging.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. It was well-written and professionally edited. Therefore, I rate it four out of four stars. Anyone who wants to make sense of the things they're going through will find this book helpful.

The Blue House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

I connect with the fact that everything happen for a reason.

Laurina_Olowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laurina_Olowo »

Memoirs always have me glued. They are so packed full of lessons when I read them. I'm sure this one won't be an exception. Beautiful review

Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Sunday diamond »

Wow! This is another life's-lesson book I always love reading.especially from the author's experiences. Well written review

Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Sunday diamond »

Wow! This is another life's-lesson book I always love reading.especially from the author's experiences. Well written review.

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Rapture of The Church has been Canceled
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: 25 Days of Roses by Mellanie Brown

Post by MsH2k »

I do believe everything happens for a reason. I also have beautiful memories of when my children were young and we lived in a blue house. This sounds like a great book. Thank you for your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”