Official Review: Game-Changing Coach: Mindful Strategies ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: Game-Changing Coach: Mindful Strategies ...

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Game-Changing Coach: Mindful Strategies for Peak Performance" by Mary Fenerty Schumann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Game-Changing Coach: Mindful Strategies for Peak Performance is a non-fiction book that supplies coaches with knowledge to help their athletes perform better. The book makes use of concepts from sports psychology and applies them in practice. Based on her work and experience as a sports psychologist, Dr. Mary Fenerty Schumann aims to help the coaches of today become more effective in handling their athletes.

The book introduces the importance of communication as one of the bases for effective coaching. Effective communication allows coaches to provide positive reinforcement, deliver motivation, and set goals for the team. The book also talks about improving team cohesion, as this helps the team function flawlessly during training and competition. The author makes use of concepts from sports psychology and guides the coaches on how to apply them in practice. At the end of every chapter are tips and practices to apply the concepts discussed.

The amount of research put into this book amazes me. The author makes use of sources from different authors to provide a broad overview of different practices that coaches can use. While the book emphasizes the importance of communication and team cohesion, it also considers the fact that different practices can work for different coaches and athletes. It helps that the book makes use of the concepts from sports psychology as starting points. Because of these concepts, different practices can be inferred as long as they follow the concepts. This makes the book useful and relevant to most coaches out there.

I also like that the author introduces the chapters with short but insightful stories. The stories include experiences from the author or other coaches, all of which are interesting to read. The stories also include hypothetical ones, but they feel so personal that the reader can easily assume they’re true for most people. This way, we get a mix of perspectives that are both reliable and relatable.

There isn’t much I can say anything bad about the book. The concepts are presented clearly and concisely, unlike the other non-fiction books I’ve read. Overall, Game-Changing Coach: Mindful Strategies for Peak Performance is a well-researched book that effectively turns sports psychology theory into practice. After considering the aforementioned factors, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While this book is targeted to coaches, I can also recommend it to parents, whether or not their child is an athlete or not. No matter who the reader is, everyone can benefit from effective communication.

Game-Changing Coach: Mindful Strategies for Peak Performance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I'm very sure coaches would find this helpful. I'll pass on this one as I'm not a sports person. Great review
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I'll also pass it on to footballers who are aiming to become coach someday. Well presented review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Nice review, I like that the book offers a mix of perspectives. Communication indeed is key in all areas of life, not just sports coaching.
henrylondon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by henrylondon »

I have always wanted to be a coach. Learning more about how their experiences helps them make some strategic changes and planning is going to be mind blowing.... Definitely reading this book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”