Official Review: Intermittent fasting 16/8

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Drowned World
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Peter Street:Treasure by Philip Sparrowhawk

Official Review: Intermittent fasting 16/8

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Intermittent fasting 16/8" by Linden Roderick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Intermittent fasting 16/8 by Linden Roderick explains how to use fasting to improve your dietary habits and, as a consequence, your health. The author explains what's behind the very simple premise of fasting for 16 hours and eating within an 8-hour window. It's a diet in the fullest meaning of the word because it's a lifestyle, not something to do just for a while to lose some weight with the risk of regaining it soon after ending your diet. This book offers an awareness of what you're doing thanks to information about metabolism, food, willpower, and more. The goal is to enable you to optimize your own diet so that you won't regain that weight. You'll improve your health thanks to its combination with intermittent fasting.

New types of diets are proposed all the time, but how many of them really work? The explanation of why diets can fail is based on the science behind eating and fasting, which is the subject of the book's first chapters. Those chapters take about half of the book because being aware of what you're doing is crucial in your success. Only if you're motivated you can change your eating habits, and adopt new ones that in some cases are radically different. For this reason, there's a whole chapter about the mental obstacles that might hinder your efforts, even just at the subconscious level.

I appreciated how Linden Roderick is trying to give you the power and responsibility of what you're doing. He's giving you a method to understand what's really best for you because every person is different, which is why standard diets work only for some people. The author is not claiming he's giving you an easy way out of your bad eating habits. In fact, he's telling you that it might be a bumpy ride, so you have to be committed if you want to reach your goals.

If there's one thing I didn't like about the book is that sometimes the author used jargon and figures containing jargon, making them difficult to understand for people without a good knowledge of the subject. It's not really a big deal because the important points are explained clearly.

Intermittent fasting allows you to improve your metabolism and clean your digestive tract during the 16-hour fasting. Linden Roderick offers suggestions to reach the 8-hour eating window. I appreciated that he explained that there can be side-effects, especially at the beginning. People with bad eating habits can suffer from withdrawal, and some suggestions help in dealing with them.

I know that there are other books on the subject, and I can't honestly say that this one is better than all of them because it's the only one I read, but I can tell you that it's full of practical suggestions. The author is honest in warning that intermittent fasting is not for everyone, and in case of health problems you should talk to a competent physician before starting.

In my opinion, Intermittent fasting 16/8 is an informative and empowering book. It's professionally edited, which means that it's almost without errors and its division in chapters and parts within a chapter is made to optimize its readability. For these reasons, my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. It contains no profanities, and sexuality is mentioned only briefly from a strictly scientific point of view. The wealth of information about eating and fasting makes it useful for all the people who want to understand what's the diet most suitable to them.

Intermittent fasting 16/8
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

Wow! This is very informative. A rather creative way to stay healthy and maintain a healthy diet. I'll check it up.

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Adanna Inya wrote: ↑
19 May 2020, 02:14
Wow! This is very informative. A rather creative way to stay healthy and maintain a healthy diet. I'll check it up.
It puts together traditional ideas about fasting with recent scientific studies. Thank you for your comment!
Massimo

Jachike Samuelson
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: Of Zots & Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jachike-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Destiny's Tyme by Amariah Sakinah

Post by Jachike Samuelson »

I don't know if I'll be able to get through 16 hours everyday without food. But then again, I love challenges. This is a unique book.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Last Merry Go Round by C.L. Charlesworth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I know for many, intermittent fasting has helped them immensely reach their health and diet goals. I appreciate that the author does not ignore the possible side effects, though, because as someone who has tried this before, I definitely didn't feel great for the first few weeks. But everyone is different. Thank you for the informative review.

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Jachike Samuelson wrote: ↑
19 May 2020, 04:34
I don't know if I'll be able to get through 16 hours everyday without food. But then again, I love challenges. This is a unique book.
To do that you should find a new balance in your eating habits. Thank you for your comment!
Massimo

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: ↑
19 May 2020, 05:10
I know for many, intermittent fasting has helped them immensely reach their health and diet goals. I appreciate that the author does not ignore the possible side effects, though, because as someone who has tried this before, I definitely didn't feel great for the first few weeks. But everyone is different. Thank you for the informative review.
The author recognizes that we're all unique, so each of us needs a different path to a new balance. Someone might have problems in that attempt, someone with health problems might not be able to do that. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo

Michelle Fred
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook by Andrew Stevenson

Post by Michelle Fred »

The book seems information-packed, but I wonder how sustainable the lifestyle is. It seems a little too restrictive and easy to flunk at. Thanks for sharing, by the way.

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Michelle Fred wrote: ↑
19 May 2020, 06:33
The book seems information-packed, but I wonder how sustainable the lifestyle is. It seems a little too restrictive and easy to flunk at. Thanks for sharing, by the way.
Intermittent fasting doesn't mean eating too little: it means concentrating your meals in an 8-hour window. The point is avoiding eating too much and overstressing your digestive tract. Thank you for your comment.
Massimo

tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by tjportugal »

Great review! The book seems to be really interesting. And fasting is not your everyday topic. I like the fact that the first chapters - as you mention in the second paragraph - present some science. That's an important element.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

tjportugal wrote: ↑
19 May 2020, 10:11
Great review! The book seems to be really interesting. And fasting is not your everyday topic. I like the fact that the first chapters - as you mention in the second paragraph - present some science. That's an important element.
The author refers to some scientific research, and at the end of the book there's a bibliography with the references and some links, so you can check some additional material about the subjects covered in the book. Thank you for your comment!
Massimo

Dannyphery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dannyphery »

Wow...
Interesting and Informative. The author really did a good job on the book.
Great review

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Pink & Blue by Flordelisa Mota

Post by Cecilia_L »

This seems to be a popular trend, so I'm glad the book includes practical suggestions. Thanks for the recommendation.

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Dannyphery wrote: ↑
19 May 2020, 13:29
Wow...
Interesting and Informative. The author really did a good job on the book.
Great review
Yes, it's an excellent book. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo

NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Cecilia_L wrote: ↑
19 May 2020, 15:45
This seems to be a popular trend, so I'm glad the book includes practical suggestions. Thanks for the recommendation.
I noticed that there are other books on the subject. This one contains a good mix of information that helps you understand what happens in your body and practical suggestions. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”