Official Review: Esoteric Christianity Made Simple

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Esoteric Christianity Made Simple by Con Trong Bui
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Esoteric Christianity Made Simple

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Esoteric Christianity Made Simple" by Con Trong Bui.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day." (King James Bible Online, Gen. 1.16-19, as quoted in Esoteric Christianity Made Simple by Con Trong Bui, original formatting preserved.)

Whether or not you are a Christian, you may be familiar with the creation story cited above. On the surface, the "greater light" seems to be the sun and the "lesser light", the moon. However, as Con Trong Bui notes in the book Esoteric Christianity Made Simple, the moon is not a light. Also, how could there have been three days already if day and night were divided on the fourth? Bui is not arguing that the Bible is nonsense - quite the opposite. He also asserts that there is no need to rely on faith to paper over the logical cracks. He explains that "day", "night", and the other images are examples of symbols scrupulously chosen to enable the Bible's stories to work on multiple levels. This deliberate choice of images based on how they could speak to an initiated audience is called the "esoteric system", which is key to discovering hidden meanings in the Bible.

Bui's book comprises a detailed survey of the esoteric system and its implications. He starts off by listing confusing Bible passages and concepts, which he then discusses in the light of esoteric interpretations. He systematically builds an argument about the deeper message of Christianity. Bui laments that human language is inadequate for conveying abstract or spiritual concepts, but that's where symbols come in. I greatly appreciated the many "Aha!" moments I experienced while reading Bui's interpretations. I loved the way his revelations meshed with both modern scientific discoveries and the beliefs at the core of all religions. (Buddhism is also discussed.) This could assuage some long-standing conflicts. For example, regarding the church's persecution of Galileo for his discovery that the Earth was round, Bui explains how the scriptures show that both parties were right. I encourage you to read the book to understand this and more, including common misunderstandings about crucifixion and resurrection and how to get past these.

As it illuminates the multiple deep meanings in the Bible, Bui's account builds up to breathtaking spiritual insights into what it means to be human and how to live. Although Bui clearly put thought into the structure, the material could still be better organized. For example, the explanation that the esoteric system was for a select few while its exoteric counterpart was for the masses does not come until Chapter 5. It would be helpful to include this nearer the beginning of the book along with other information on esotericism that I had to look up elsewhere. A glossary of the symbols and their esoteric meanings could also be a helpful addition, especially for readers pursuing their own research.

Given the lack of detailed background information, this book is not a primer on the Bible. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to the non-Christians it is aimed at. It could also be of interest to Christians wishing to learn about the esoteric system, especially those who are struggling with taking certain things on faith. Bui cogently argues that all the wording was included for a reason. In doing so, he frequently uses rhetorical questions with a devil's advocate tone. This is a representative example in reference to a verse that appears to imply that one day contains thousands of days: "Is it illogical and absurd? Of course, it is, until we consider the reference and the circumstance in which it is used." This style might not be everyone's cup of tea. Also, this isn't the kind of academic work that includes suggestions for further reading, and the only book cited is the Bible.

That said, care has been taken in formulating this book's valuable insights. It is edited well in general, although there are some errors, perhaps more in the parts that are new in this updated version. As this book's organization and content already work well but could still be improved, I rate it three out of four stars. The esoteric interpretations of the scriptures deserve to be better known.

Esoteric Christianity Made Simple
View: on Bookshelves

Sheila_Jay
2019 Reading Goal: 96
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Sheila_Jay »

Clearly the author put a lot of effort in getting this book together. However, I will have to pass it since I am not keen on understanding the esoteric system. Nonetheless, thanks a lot for the great review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

ButterscotchCherrie

Sheila_Jay wrote:
20 May 2020, 02:38
Clearly the author put a lot of effort in getting this book together. However, I will have to pass it since I am not keen on understanding the esoteric system. Nonetheless, thanks a lot for the great review.
I guess it's not for everyone. Thank you for your comment, nevertheless.

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Sushan »

Many attempts have been made to describe the bible verses, and this one seems like another, yet a great attempt. Nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

gen_g
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Democratization of Wealth by Canfield LaPeer

Post by gen_g »

Honestly, this one seems rather interesting, even though I generally try not to touch books on religion. An esoteric take is intriguing, still. Thanks for the insightful review!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Ellylion »

I love such books very, very much! Esoteric Christianity sounds extremely interesting and I would love to read this one for sure :) The author's interpretations seem to be intriguing and unusual. Amazing review!

ButterscotchCherrie

Sushan wrote:
20 May 2020, 21:37
Many attempts have been made to describe the bible verses, and this one seems like another, yet a great attempt. Nice review 👍👍
This was more meaningful than anything I've seen before. Thanks for your feedback!

jeminah28
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 680
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by jeminah28 »

Yeah, I also wonder about the creation. I am asking different scholars about the fourth creations, too. This book might help me find an answer.
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

Dee_Robert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dee_Robert »

Some places in the Bible do need a deeper set of eyes to see what its really about and an esoteric view is welcome.

Great Review

JM Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jm-reviews.html
Latest Review: Gospel King James Version Americanized by Betty Lee

Post by JM Reviews »

I've read several creation stories. I'd like to read about how it's expanded in this book. Great review!
Your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”