Official Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Official Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Bonza Life" by Brian murphy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The plight of Baby Boomers (those born between 1946 – 1966) has been much talked about in recent years as this generation is near, entering, or enjoying retirement. In the book A BONZA Life: The Story of a Baby Boomer, author Brian Murphy describes the need to find solutions to maintaining the financial, mental, and physical health of these individuals.

The story begins with a thorough review of Murphy’s life growing up post-World War II in Australia. Raised in a family with 6 children, Brian had a happy, carefree childhood full of fond memories in the ‘50s and ‘60s. Time with friends playing marbles, listening to the Beatles and Bee Gees, discovering girls, and family vacations. The reminiscing of his childhood years could apply to any boomer in the world during that time and was enjoyable to read. There is no denying that it was a unique time to be growing up. I have always felt that to truly know a person, you need to find out what makes up their inner being. Once you have this information, you can understand more fully who they are. That helps explain why the author’s carefree childhood progressed into a shiftless attitude as an adult. Fortunately, most Boomers that I know are more ambitious!

Murphy finally discovers his life purpose when he joins the Grey Army in Australia, which focuses on employment for those over 50 years of age. This leads to his work to help the Boomer generation retire gracefully and with purpose. He develops this through the Grey Skills program in New Zealand as well as his website BONZA (Baby Boomers of New Zealand and Australia). Even though the structure of retirement looks different in New Zealand and Australia, the basic concept of his program can be applied anywhere if there is a need.

There are enough missing or misplaced words that I question whether this book had a final edit. The author could also have employed a more linear outline in his retelling since he often jumped around and repeated information from one section to the next. One example is that he spoke about his children throughout the story, then in a section titled Parenting, he reviews each of the children’s lives from birth to present, including the parts we already knew. The rambling and repetitive storytelling in this book touches on boring and is what I liked least.

Overall, I feel that Brian Murphy’s story is inspirational only to those that are still drifting through life at an advanced age. He had held 50 jobs (by his own account) and was still looking for direction in his late 40’s. Even though he finally found his life purpose, he talked of being mentally and physically exhausted from the effort it required. When I read biographies, I am usually looking for something more uplifting and I did not find that here.

Due to the grammar issues and the lack of linear focus mentioned above, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I am being generous because I feel that Murphy’s work with Grey Skills and BONZA would have more meaning to someone in New Zealand or Australia. There is a minor amount of sex and drug talk described in the teen years. This book is written specifically for the Baby Boomer generation.

A Bonza Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I'm not a baby boomer neither am I of New Zealand nor Australian descent. I therefore don't think this book has anything to offer me. Thanks for the review.

allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

Ediomis_Enwongo01 wrote:
15 May 2020, 06:10
I'm not a baby boomer neither am I of New Zealand nor Australian descent. I therefore don't think this book has anything to offer me. Thanks for the review.
I think you are right in your assessment! Thanks for stopping by!

booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

Great review! Thank you for being so thorough about who would get the most out of this book.
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS

allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

booksandmagicshop wrote:
18 May 2020, 21:08
Great review! Thank you for being so thorough about who would get the most out of this book.
Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:

Sheila_Jay
2019 Reading Goal: 96
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

I am neither in New Zealand nor Australia and as such I think I will have to pass this book but I hope the target readers would get to enjoy it. Thanks for the well-written review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Lady-of-Literature
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I have seen your posts in the past on this website, but this is the first time I have read a proper review by you and I must say that not only is it informative but the flow and structure is lovely. I really admire your lack of fluff and use of humor. I don't think I would read this book, but if you wrote one I would certainly give it a chance.

Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Howlan »

A great assessment of the book. I will have to pass on this one as it is not my cup of tea but thanks for the great review!

allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

Sheila_Jay wrote:
19 May 2020, 14:50
I am neither in New Zealand nor Australia and as such I think I will have to pass this book but I hope the target readers would get to enjoy it. Thanks for the well-written review.
I agree - it is a limited target audience I believe. Thanks for stopping by!

allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

Lady-of-Literature wrote:
19 May 2020, 14:59
I have seen your posts in the past on this website, but this is the first time I have read a proper review by you and I must say that not only is it informative but the flow and structure is lovely. I really admire your lack of fluff and use of humor. I don't think I would read this book, but if you wrote one I would certainly give it a chance.
Thank you for your comments. :tiphat:

allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

Howlan wrote:
20 May 2020, 02:38
A great assessment of the book. I will have to pass on this one as it is not my cup of tea but thanks for the great review!
Thanks for visiting! :tiphat:

LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by LuciusM »

A very detailed review. Thanks for sharing.
"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from all the miseries of life"

LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by LiLj »

I don't relate to anything you said would like the book so I think I'll pass, but thank you for your informative review.

allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

LuciusM wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 14:57
A very detailed review. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading! :tiphat:

allbooked+
Currently Reading:

Post by allbooked+ »

LiLj wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 12:09
I don't relate to anything you said would like the book so I think I'll pass, but thank you for your informative review.
That is why reviews are so helpful! Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”