Official Review: The Gift of Crisis by Christos Tsolkas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1071
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Kidnapped by E. Alan Fleischauer

Official Review: The Gift of Crisis by Christos Tsolkas

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gift of Crisis" by Christos Tsolkas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is purpose? How can a business develop its purpose? Can purpose be born where no crisis exists? What are the priorities during a crisis? What are the current global problems that businesses can take advantage of?

The Ukrainian Crisis started on November 21, 2013, and it quickly erupted into violence as pro-government and anti-government groups clashed on the streets of the capital city. The situation worsened when protesters were shot dead and others tortured. Businesses were affected, and the author had to find a way to keep his team safe as well as to ensure the company continued serving its customers. How possible would this be? What role would teamwork occupy in this process? Would the lessons he had learned after safely steering his company during the Greek Debt Crisis in 2009 help?

This book shows, using adequate historical events, that crisis is inevitable. The author provides a comprehensive list of all major catastrophes that have hit the world in the past. Consequently, with the addition of modern global problems, the reader understands it is the companies possessing agile methodologies that will eventually sail through the rough seas. The book also describes how companies can engage in solving or abating challenges facing humanity without losing their profits. This is done by giving examples of several companies that have applied different strategies like ‘One for One’ business model.

One of the things I liked about this book was the emphasis on sustainability. This book provides sufficient examples to support the fact that companies can capitalize on different avenues to engage in philanthropic work without reducing their profit margins. It also reveals companies can alleviate some problems by changing the nature of their work or tying it to one of the ‘Level One Problems’. These problems are listed in the book. Several resources are also included for the reader’s own digestion.

Nothing was more appealing in the book than reading the author’s own success stories, though. He narrated the stories so well that I could only imagine how he had to act not only quickly but also judiciously to avoid endangering his team and work. Several notable events where people had to rethink strategies or team-up to handle crises were also intriguing. These instances proved crises can hit at several levels and thus require different approaches. The bottom line, however, was that leadership occupies a key role in sailing through crises.

The book presents established companies and startups that have revolutionized the world of business. Most of them achieved remarkable strides through crises or paved new ‘Blue Zones’ for themselves. The Gift of Crisis by Christos Tsolkas, therefore, is a must-have for every leader who requires a resource on how to turn a crisis to a purpose. Leaders seeking opportunities they can take advantage of and make their companies unique will also obtain information from this book. It is 252 pages long and was published in 2020.

The book was edited well, and the errors I discovered were minor. There is nothing I disliked about it. With this in mind, I heartily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to business leaders, leaders in other spheres, and readers interested in handling crises successfully.

The Gift of Crisis
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Very interesting. Striving through crises or turning crises into a purpose in a business is really a great knowledge to acquire, especially in this pandemic situation. Due to the shutdown and curfew, companies are retrenching their staff and their prices just to survive. Great review.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Last Merry Go Round by C.L. Charlesworth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This is an informative book that is both timely and relevant to the current crisis the world is facing. There are many businesses that will be forced to shut down--never to re-open. If I were a business owner, I would be grabbing a copy of this book for sure. Thanks for the informative review.

Zee_Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zee-zee.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Zee_Zee »

This is a timely book. Business owners would find this book very helpful. Great review. Thanks!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

This is an evergreen masterpiece that will serve businesses and corporations well on how to prepare for and manage crisis.

Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

This genre is definitely my type of books. I love books that build the minds of Professional Business men and women.
Thanks for an interesting and explicit review

sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: The Count of Monte Cristo
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by sirbobthewise »

Crises definitely have the potential to draw out creativity and cultivate adaptability and resilience. I am not usually immediately drawn to business books, but this one sounds really interesting. Your review really highlighted on its good points and did an amazing job of succinctly summarizing its main attributes. Sounds like it would definitely be a timely book to read, and I'm sure that first-hand experiences of the author would be highly valuable to many people.

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Wow! This is awesome. So there are positive to look out for even in crisis. I totally agree with you on your recommendation. Great review.

See_B00kReaDs
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:02
This is an informative book that is both timely and relevant to the current crisis the world is facing. There are many businesses that will be forced to shut down--never to re-open. If I were a business owner, I would be grabbing a copy of this book for sure. Thanks for the informative review.
Yes, I agree with you, this book is indeed timely and relevant to today's crisis.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D

See_B00kReaDs
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Business owners and company leaders should definitely read this book, especially now that we are suffering from a worldwide crisis.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D

booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by booksandmagicshop »

This sounds like an extremely needed and relevant book for today's challenges we face. So glad you wrote a review, I'd love to check it out.
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS

Sheila_Jay
2019 Reading Goal: 96
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html

Post by Sheila_Jay »

This would pass as a great motivational book. I am looking forward to reading it. Thanks a lot for the insightful review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Lady-of-Literature
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Excellent review! It fitting that I have come across this given the current crisis we are all in, its perhaps a story we could all appreciate at the moment.

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an educational and inspiring read, giving hope even amid crisis. Now quite my type of read but still sounds very interesting. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”