Official Review: Commitment to Courage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Pink & Blue by Flordelisa Mota

Official Review: Commitment to Courage

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Commitment to Courage" by Donald L. Redden PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Robbery, murder, drug trafficking, and kidnapping are the types of criminal cases that Donald L. Redden, Ph.D., chronicles in his compelling memoir, Commitment to Courage: The Life and Extraordinary Career of a Veteran FBI Agent. Redden described himself as an adrift young man; "There were two things that kept me going and gave me the direction I needed: Ann and the church." He married Ann in 1964, and after surviving the Vietnam War, his goals included raising a family with her and advancing his career path at General Electric. In 1970, Redden was on track with his career, he and Ann were parents, and a friend from church suggested that he apply to the FBI. Although he was doubtful about the daunting application process, Redden was intrigued. He was accepted and began his training the following October. Meanwhile, Ann was pregnant with their second child.

There was never a dull moment in this 234-page book. At the beginning of the story, Redden shared his family background. His father was a 1944 prisoner of war, which explained his adverse reaction when Redden joined the National Guard. Redden viewed it as a means of "taking control of his destiny," as the threat of the draft weighed heavily on him. Redden detailed his adventures and skillfully balanced recounting successful accolades while humbly sharing how his career took a toll on his marriage and family. The book was professionally edited and contained a single instance of nonborderline profanity; Redden quoted a passenger who was arrested for interfering with flight operations.

My favorite aspect of the book was the way that Redden gave readers an inside glimpse of the cases he investigated, which kept me engaged from start to finish. For example, in a 1979 case known as the Mainline Murders, Redden chronicled the bizarre details of murder victim Susan Reinert and her missing children. He began by explaining how he became involved in the case amid jurisdictional protocol. He shared details about dealing with an ornery state police veteran and unraveling the sordid relationships at the high school were Reinert taught, eventually resulting in the convictions of two suspects. I also appreciated the poignant foreword by Charlie Shor, who was kidnapped and thanked Redden for saving his life.

I found nothing to dislike about this intriguing memoir. While there are a handful of minor punctuation errors, they do not detract from the book as a whole. Sensitive readers should be aware that there are several depictions of violent crime scenes and case-related nonexplicit sexual references.

I'm pleased to rate Commitment to Courage 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to fans of memoirs and true crimes. It is intended for a mature audience.

Commitment to Courage
View: on Bookshelves

Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Y0landa »

You've really engaged me with your book review. It will definitely be on my list of books to read. Thank you!

Nath_chuks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Nath_chuks »

"There were two things that kept me going and gave me the direction I needed: Ann and the church."

Such a man committed to his work, Family and church. Your review was engaging. Thanks

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Y0landa wrote:
10 May 2020, 14:24
You've really engaged me with your book review. It will definitely be on my list of books to read. Thank you!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nath_chuks wrote:
10 May 2020, 15:51
"There were two things that kept me going and gave me the direction I needed: Ann and the church."

Such a man committed to his work, Family and church. Your review was engaging. Thanks
Thanks for your comment.

Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

I'm inclined to believe that this book is a delightful read. The writer certainly did quite a good job by engaging you throughout. I hope to read it soon. Nice review.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Untold Deception
Bookshelf Size: 203
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Druids by Ilene Birkwood
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

Unfortunately, I am not a particular fan of either memoirs or true crime stories, so I will be passing on this one. Given the interesting life Redden lived, and his encounters in the FBI, however, I'm sure that the book will find its readership.

Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: Becoming Nobody by Rick Branch

Post by Sunday diamond »

I love memoir books. I can decide to add it to my want to read shelf. Good job on your review.

Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Jajachris »

Your review is engaging and I know the book wil be just the same.

Definitely adding this to my book shelve

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Thumbs up for Redden for striking a balance in his job, family and church in this great memoir. A wonderful lesson for anyone yet to achieve the same balance. Thanks for the comprehensive review.

Prince Ivan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Prince Ivan »

You really captured my attention I love action and I love family I think I could read over half of it without putting it down😊

Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Wow.
Impressive review.
I'm definitely adding to my next read once I encounter it.
Thank you

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kachi_Ejiogu+_ wrote:
10 May 2020, 16:24
I'm inclined to believe that this book is a delightful read. The writer certainly did quite a good job by engaging you throughout. I hope to read it soon. Nice review.
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kelyn wrote:
10 May 2020, 18:02
Unfortunately, I am not a particular fan of either memoirs or true crime stories, so I will be passing on this one. Given the interesting life Redden lived, and his encounters in the FBI, however, I'm sure that the book will find its readership.
Thanks for stopping by.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sunday diamond wrote:
10 May 2020, 18:59
I love memoir books. I can decide to add it to my want to read shelf. Good job on your review.
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”