Review by bjoly2 -- We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Review by bjoly2 -- We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!

Post by bjoly2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!" by Allyn Raifstanger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger is a first-person narrative of one man's journey to finding health and energy from a plant-based diet. I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is an informative introduction to vegan food without being pushy. The author is a long-time restaurant owner and provides recipes that have proven to be favorite dishes by patrons, which makes me think they're going to be pretty delicious.

The author's journey very much struck a chord as it mirrored my own. While no severe health complications pushed me into a plant-based lifestyle, better overall health was my main goal. I made gradual changes over time, not overnight, as the author did, but it was about changing my mentality on food that got things to stick. As Raifstanger suggests in the book, "The solution is easy, and it's about changing your diet and lifestyle. To change those aspects of your life, you also need to change your mindset."

This book is not a professional tale and has minor issues with formatting, but the book is well rounded and offers support not only for what to make but also how to think about planning trips to the grocery. In addition to recipes, the book also discusses issues relevant to overall health like exercise, the importance of reading food labels, and how to battle cravings.

One of the things I didn't like about the book is that the recipes are in paragraph form instead of numbered lists. I found it challenging at times to read through the recipes and understand how many steps I may be facing during preparation. It would also be nice if the total prep time and cook time were present for these recipes as is available in so many others I have seen online and in books.

I have many vegan recipe books and several go-to recipes already, but after reading this book, I am going to have to try a few of Raifstanger's favorites. The vegan jambalaya and vegan red beans and rice specifically caught my eye. I appreciate the fact that the author provided a balanced mix of recipes, from salads and tacos to cajun dishes and soup.

I think many vegans can get a bad rap for trying to push their agenda on others, and I appreciate that this book acts in a support capacity. The author is merely trying to share their success story with a broader audience who may also be able to gain a thing or two from making some life changes of their own.

We Don't Just Eat Lettuce!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”