Review by StephLynn7 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
StephLynn7
Currently Reading: The Long Walk
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephlynn7.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by StephLynn7 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by StephLynn7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones, written by Jorge P. Newbery, is an autobiographical look back at the challenges Newbery faced on the path to building American Homeowner Preservation, as well as the successes that gave him the taste for entrepreneurship.

As Newbery explains in the book, "burn zone" is a term cyclists use to describe the short-lived moments of extraordinary effort that separate winning cyclists from the rest. After his experiences of elite cycling competition, Newbery began viewing the challenges in his life and career as burn zones to be tackled with enthusiasm, optimism, and unrelenting determination.

From paper routes and ice cream sales to competitive bicycle racing and the real estate industry, Newbery walks the reader through the stages of his progression from one entrepreneurial venture to the next. His process for discovering and mastering each new career opportunity is laid out for the reader as a type of road map for turning hard work and research into successful business ventures.

The book is peppered with more personal anecdotes of personal growth and milestones, in addition to the examples and stories of Newbery's business progression.

The thing I liked most about this book was the relatability of Newbery's struggle to come to terms with failures along the way. The thing I disliked most about the book was a little awkwardness in the storytelling voice.

Something that usually bothers me about autobiographical books on the author's success is other authors' tendencies to brag and sound unrelatable. Newbery struck a good balance of sharing some really cool experiences and how he brought them about through hard work without sounding overly self-promotional. I was a fan of the deeply reflective nature of the book, as well. Perhaps that contributed to the balance, but Newbery effectively conveyed the purpose of including each anecdote in a way that provided useful lessons with his own personal development as the example.

As for the awkwardness in the storytelling, this issue was most noticeable to me in the beginning of the book than it was toward the end. I believe this was Newbery's first time writing a book, so I don't feel the need to harshly hold him accountable for that. His storytelling voice improved throughout the book, so I would chalk it up to discovering his storytelling voice and getting accustomed to writing autobiographically. I mostly noticed the awkwardness when Newbery was initially describing how his intelligence and ability to teach himself were key to his success. Most people struggle to write about talents they possess without accidentally bragging or sounding as though they are bragging, though.

Overall, I enjoyed Burn Zones. I can tell that Newbery either had an editor or he worked very hard to edit his book carefully himself. I give this book three out of four stars because it was a great story, and there were useful lessons for the reader. My only complaint is that it could have taken a little bit more polishing to keep his storytelling voice consistent. Other than that, I would have no qualms recommending this book to friends looking for a nonfiction suggestion, particularly for those who enjoy reading about entrepreneurs and business development.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”