Review by jkreviewer -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jkreviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkreviewer.html
Latest Review: Meditation for Beginners in Six world Religions by Gabriel J. Gomes

Review by jkreviewer -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by jkreviewer »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands, author Jorge P. Newbery recounts his life as an entrepreneur and risk-taker. Using bicycling terminology, Newbery takes the reader through his journey’s “burn zones” and recovery stretches.

Newbery begins his story at age seven when he pursued his first career as a newspaper delivery boy, showing how his drive and determination to succeed led him to seek new challenges beginning at a young age. Then, at age 11, Newbery tackled neighborhood ice cream sales, moving on a couple of years later to work as a busboy. His enthusiasm and creativity next led him to expand his repertoire of skills and start a fanzine, record label, stage rental company, find moderate success as a cyclist, and, eventually, enter the world of loans and real estate investment. As each chapter of his life unfolds, Newbery tries to reveal to the reader, not just the events which occurred, but his intentions and ambitions as well.

I am giving this book a four out of four star rating. The writing style was clear, accessible, and the book was clearly well-edited. The timeline of the story progressed smoothly, and Newbery took care to explain necessary details of bicycle racing and real estate loans, which enables the reader to easily follow his journey. I particularly enjoyed the personal details that Newbery included, such as descriptions of his family and his interactions with his father. The pictures dispersed throughout the book were an added bonus as well.

While I enjoyed this book overall, I did not overly connect with Newbery’s descriptions of himself. I felt that, at times, he was using his autobiography to explain away his decisions made out of arrogance or greed. The reader may be receiving a glossier image of Newbery, rather than a realistic one, although that is understandable in an autobiography. He portrays his real estate investment work through a lens of a nearly charitable nature, which clashes with the consistent goals of monetary gain or personal recognition prevalent in all of his entrepreneurial schemes. I found that I had difficulty reconciling the two, although I acknowledge that he does not portray himself as a flawless individual. He documents his failings while trumpeting his successes.

I would recommend this book to really any reader of autobiographies. I think it will hold a particular appeal to those with interest in real estate investment. Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands easily earned my four out of four star rating, and I hope others will enjoy it as I did.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: A Quest of Transcendence by Jolene and Jason Tierney

Post by gen_g »

I have read many reviews of this book, but I really do appreciate the unique insight you have provided into this (in the penultimate paragraph), which makes the review stand out from the rest. Thank you for this!

B Creech
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 126
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Peregrination
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: Something in the Middle by A.I. Wand

Post by B Creech »

I also read and reviewed this book and enjoyed it. I got some positive and negative vibes from it, but overall I enjoyed it. I like the connection you made about his portrayal of his real estate investments being done with charitable connotations, and I agree! I failed to see the connection when I was reading the book. I enjoyed how he used bicycling terminology to describe his personal ups and downs in life! Very nice review!
B. Creech

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”