Official Review: French Fried by Brett Coon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 135
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: French Fried by Brett Coon
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: French Fried by Brett Coon

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "French Fried" by Brett Coon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

French Fried by Brett Coon is a satirical look at working in the fast-food industry. He calls on his many years of hands-on experience to walk his reader through the process of capitulating, interviewing, training, politicking, and inevitably leaving a position as a fast-food employee. Coon turns a jaundiced eye toward the industry and the caliber of the average people who become managers and frontline workers.

Coon humorously breaks down the dispassionate interview process and follows it with an equally depressing overview of the typical training a fast-food worker should expect to receive. He goes on to discuss the ins and outs of scamming breaks, landmines that are the coworkers to avoid, and the different kinds of managers one might encounter. He also has a very depressing conversation about the general lack of care and concern when it comes to food safety.

Anyone who has worked in food service or other service industries will find some enjoyment and truth in this work, especially if that position was taken out of desperation. Applying for a minimum wage job with your shiny new college degree doesn’t bode well for a person’s attitude going into a job slinging fries. He hits the nail on the head when talking about smokers getting all of the breaks and the types of customers one should expect to encounter.

While presented in terms of satire, French Fried seems to have a hard time straddling the line between humor and bitterly candid honesty. While parts of the short book are obviously satire, portions of it just read like a disgruntled employee complaining. There seems to be a bit of nuance missing from the overall tone. The relaxed writing style can be a bit of a stumbling block due to constant overly complex, run-on sentences. Inconsistent punctuation and capitalization are also present throughout the book.

While this work didn’t appeal to me as a satirical piece, it does shine a rather accurate light on the plight of those working in food service. As I read, I easily identified the Hen coworker, the Warlord manager, and the almighty Karen customers that were a part of the daily drudge during my stint at a small restaurant after graduating college. Due to the errors encountered and the slightly off tone I got from the book, I’m giving French Fried a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Read this book if you want to reminisce about a time you survived as a low wage employee in a retail setting. I suggest you avoid this work at all costs if you are a devotee to your neighborhood fast-food restaurant; the section on food safety will have you running for the nearest grocery store and learning how to cook your own fries.

French Fried
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Jake's Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Road Map to Tomorrow by John Morgan Mullen

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Haha, I do appreciate your candid honesty with this one and who should probably avoid it if they don’t wish to learn the cold, hard, deep-fried truth. Sometimes ignorance truly is bliss, but I like to be well-informed. Satire is sometimes tricky to get right, especially when you have an emotionally-linked investment in the subject matter, but for food industry newbies, I bet this title is chock-full of useful insight! Thanks so much for your review.

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Democratization of Wealth by Canfield LaPeer

Post by gen_g »

Wow, now I'm morbidly fascinated by how they cook their fries; I've heard my own horror stories, but I suppose having it confirmed in a book might indeed send me running to my own kitchen! Thanks for an insightful review as usual!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

Hahaha. This will sure be an interesting one. I love books written from experience. And really, I don't want to know what goes on behind the scenes, so it doesn't ruin fries for me.

Beautiful review!

Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

If the book will make me break the habit of patronizing my neighborhood fast food restaurant, then the better for it. Good book! Good review.

Miriam Molina
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Head On NYPD Dies Hard
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Designs of Destiny by Carol Purroy
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

I reviewed this book a year ago, but I remain a French fries fanatic. Maybe I have a good immune system. :eusa-think:

Another enjoyable piece, CommMayo!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”