Official Review: The Democratization of Wealth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: The Democratization of Wealth

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Democratization of Wealth" by Canfield LaPeer.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How many lifestyle conveniences and comforts do we take for granted today? The Democratization of Wealth: Baby, You’re a Rich Man Too is Canfield LaPeer’s attempt at persuading the reader that we are not only living in a technologically advanced world full of wealth that we can freely and equally – hence the term “democratization” – access (such as transportation and the increased ease of international air travel), but we also ought to be thankful for it. Clocking in at 200-plus pages, the book is split into 27 short chapters, with each chapter focusing on the economic value of one particular aspect of American society, e.g., the American education system, the value of the healthcare system, etc.

Still, despite the lofty goals that LaPeer had, the book was, unfortunately, a great disappointment, due to the numerous major flaws that I found. Hence, do buckle up – this is going to be a long ride, but I will try to be succinct. Before proceeding to explain my rationale, I will first give the book a rating of 1 out of 4 stars.

To begin, LaPeer did not have a thesis statement whilst writing this book, which is shocking, to say the least. In other words, the book was simply a compilation of calculations: we learn how much the transport system is valued at today, what the economic value of the healthcare system that we enjoy today is, etc. Whilst this is somewhat informative, LaPeer did not explain why he included these calculations. I picked this up in the hopes of learning how wealth was democratized (in LaPeer’s words), but unfortunately, I mainly got mathematical calculations.

Also, LaPeer made a severe erroneous assumption: as he argues for the “democratization of wealth”, he assumes that everyone has equal and unhindered access to all of these lifestyle comforts and privileges. However, we know that this is clearly not the case in a capitalistic society – some people only make minimum wage, some people have been discriminated against due to their race, and so forth. Hence, despite being a short read, it is, regrettably, extremely reductive.

Moreover, the figures that LaPeer provided were not entirely accurate. Notwithstanding the book being mainly a compilation of such financial numbers, to learn that the calculations themselves were inaccurate because of outdated research (or sometimes simply the wrong choice of numbers used for calculation) makes for an even more frustrating reading experience. For example, when calculating the cost of an item, LaPeer uses only “work hours” (i.e., the cost of labour). I think this is grossly inaccurate; the term “cost price” should have been used instead, as it considers factors (which the term “work hours” ignores) like the cost of the raw materials used for manufacture, the cost of the equipment used for manufacture, etc.

Nonetheless, I must say that I admire LaPeer’s reasons for writing this book, which I assume is to encourage his readers to appreciate the advanced world of today. After all, one cannot deny that it is true, to some extent, that the previous generations worked and innovated diligently so that we can have what we have today. However, admiration is never enough, is it? The flaws that I have listed made too large of an obstacle for me to look past, hence my low rating. There were also a couple of minor punctuation errors, such as missing commas and periods, but these, thankfully, did not detract much from the reading experience.

I strongly suggest that LaPeer first come up with a thesis statement; simply put, what is the point of writing The Democratization of Wealth: Baby, You’re a Rich Man Too? Without an argument to make, the book inevitably becomes misguided and unclear. It would also be highly beneficial for LaPeer to rework his entire text with editors and economists; the term “democratization of wealth” is an intriguing one, and I would like to see it expanded in a well-written expository piece. I also believe that the work of Michel Foucault (especially his theory on power and knowledge) would be highly relevant as a reference. Therefore, in its current form, I am honestly unable to recommend it to anyone, unless you absolutely love mathematics.

The Democratization of Wealth
View: on Bookshelves
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

A critical, yet an honest review. Thanks for saving me from reading this one 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Sushan wrote: 21 May 2020, 09:21 A critical, yet an honest review. Thanks for saving me from reading this one 👍👍
You're welcome, although I hope that this book will be edited! Thanks for stopping by. (:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you for this insightful review! This book is definitely not my cup of tea. Hopefully the author fixes all the issues.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I find the premise interesting, but I don’t think I could read the whole thing.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

This is clearly not for me. I have no interest in the subject nor appreciate the author's writing style. Thanks for your honest review, though.
EdwardIreland93
Currently Reading: The Hungry Tide
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwardireland93.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by EdwardIreland93 »

Great review. When I read the title, I immediately speculated about what the central argument of the book might be, and came up with a few guesses. However, reading that the book doesn't even contain a central argument, I have decided not to waste my time on it. Thanks for saving me some time.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Ellylion wrote: 21 May 2020, 13:18 Thank you for this insightful review! This book is definitely not my cup of tea. Hopefully the author fixes all the issues.
Indeed, thank you for stopping by!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

teacherjh wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:10 I find the premise interesting, but I don’t think I could read the whole thing.
The premise certainly was! I hope that it gets edited, as I do think that there is potential. Thanks for dropping by! (:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Michelle Fred wrote: 21 May 2020, 15:08 This is clearly not for me. I have no interest in the subject nor appreciate the author's writing style. Thanks for your honest review, though.
Thank you for stopping by, still!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Dropping inaccurate calculations, and without reason will leave me more confused.
And this?

"as he argues for the “democratization of wealth”, he assumes that everyone has equal and unhindered access to all of these lifestyle comforts and privileges. "

What?!? How so? I can't read this book. I hope the author takes your suggestions and does better with the book.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

EdwardIreland93 wrote: 21 May 2020, 17:43 Great review. When I read the title, I immediately speculated about what the central argument of the book might be, and came up with a few guesses. However, reading that the book doesn't even contain a central argument, I have decided not to waste my time on it. Thanks for saving me some time.
Yes, I was also shocked when the book was mainly calculations, as it is such a pity. Thank you for your thoughts!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Adanna Inya wrote: 22 May 2020, 04:59 Dropping inaccurate calculations, and without reason will leave me more confused.
And this?

"as he argues for the “democratization of wealth”, he assumes that everyone has equal and unhindered access to all of these lifestyle comforts and privileges. "

What?!? How so? I can't read this book. I hope the author takes your suggestions and does better with the book.
I hope so too; thank you for stopping by! (:
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

I appreciate your specific review. I studied economics in college, and I try to read things I don't agree with to avoid blind spots, but I detest when people who have no idea what they're doing pose as experts, no matter the field. You've saved me from a world of frustration.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

gc0024 wrote: 24 May 2020, 20:37 I appreciate your specific review. I studied economics in college, and I try to read things I don't agree with to avoid blind spots, but I detest when people who have no idea what they're doing pose as experts, no matter the field. You've saved me from a world of frustration.
With a background in economics, I'm sure that you would be in a much better place than I am to critique the book (as I only took it in high school)! Still, thank you for stopping by to leave a comment. :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”