Review by ndfnurse -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ndfnurse
Currently Reading: Weeping woman of putten
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndfnurse.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by ndfnurse -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by ndfnurse »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The "Burn Zone" by Jorge P. Newberry is an autobiographical novel written by a businessman who admittedly does his best work when situations are most challenging; when the pressure is on; and when he is in the "burn zone. Throughout his life Mr. Newberry applies the term to business, sports, and personal situations equally.

The author started using the "burn zone" term as early as seven when he negotiated his first business deal. He convinced a newspaper Dealer to assign a paper route to him. He spoke convincingly when questioned about his ability to reliably deliver the newspapers on a daily basis. Though the dealer looked at Jorge with doubt, he was desperate for someone to immediately replace the previous paperboy and reluctantly gave the job to Jorge.

Jorge happily began his first job. While preparing the papers and delivering them daily he had time to think about a perceived challenge. Jorge began to feel the burn as he worked out the logistics of taking on a second route that would give him double the income while increasing his workload by only half. Once the plan was clear in his mind he secured a paper delivery route from a competing newspaper. At the age of seven, Jorge felt recognizable enjoyment and received the reward from meeting the challenges and pressures of a specific situation and successfully developing a plan to meet situational needs. He came to call this process the "burn zone."

Mr. Newberry relates throughout his book how he mentally kicked into overdrive once he recognized that the challenge he was dealing with required the energies and thought processes of what he had come to know as the "burn zone." Using this knowledge and practice Mr. Newberry was able to become a multi-millionaire by the time he was 33.

This book has been written in a manner that holds the interest of the reader and helps them to look forward to the next challenge and the next success all the time wondering how such a young person was able to recognize the next opportunity. Some of Mr. Newberry's traits may help to explain his success. He was always looking for a problem that he thought he could remedy. In finding an answer to the problem he also always looked for a way to help the people of the area. He counted on his positive attitude, drive, work ethic, and personal relationship to help him emerge from the burn sone as a success.

It is these traits that I liked best about Mr. Newberry. Yes, he became a rich man for a time. But with his skill, knowledge base, and his positive attitude, it seemed he could not fail. His way of doing business became an example for others to follow. One positive outcome eased his way into the next. Mr. Newberry was changing lives in the communities where he chose to do business. He made people believe, even myself, that anything, was possible.

What I liked least about this book was the limited glimpse he gave into his personal life. While Mr. Newberry talked occasionally about his parents and their positive impact on his life, I was shocked when I found out he had siblings, and later in the book that he actually got married. I know the goal of the book was to relate the positive and negative of a lengthy business career. However, more about his personal life would have helped to make him appear more human and less of a magician or miracle worker.

I rate this book as a 4 out of 4. The book is very well written and edited as there are no spelling or grammatical errors that I found. In addition, if you want an easy, interesting and enjoyable read I think this book fills the boat.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”