Review by Hopeless_Squish -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hopeless_Squish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hopeless-squish.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Hopeless_Squish -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Hopeless_Squish »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Burn Zone by Jorge P. Newbery is an autobiography that details the author's life and struggles, especially his financial struggles after a 2004 economic drop. The book starts off talking about his childhood and the first job he had as a paperboy, then later selling ice cream and interviewing bands by the time he was a teenager. The book follows Mr. Newbery’s life from childhood to adulthood, discussing his different “burn zones” throughout the book. These burn zones are parts of the race, or in this case life, where it may hurt to continue but it has to be done. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The book itself did not have any spelling errors, though there were times when the wording was a little strange. It is exceptionally well edited but the writing style is a little funky sometimes. This did not change the readability however, and it is not enough to drop the rating I gave it from a 4 to a 3. One thing I didn't like about the book was that it seemed to slow down after about page 200, as opposed to how face paced it was in the beginning. This is not a big enough problem to decrease the rating either however.

One thing that I did like about the book was the way the author didn’t sound as though he was coming off as preachy. It wasn't written to be a how-to book on financial things, though the author does have other books of that nature. If the reader looks into the book however, they can find in it ways to live purposefully and with satisfaction. It was inspirational and displayed the author's open-mindedness to finding solutions to his problems, both of which the reader could take away from the book.

This book would be a good read for anyone looking for inspiration, or even just someone who enjoys reading about other people’s lives and the things that they have overcome. One would assume that since the writer owned 4,000 apartments and had large amounts of money that his problems would not be relatable, but this is not the case.

I gave this book a 4 out of 4 stars because it was well edited and the content itself was good. Though there were some places where it dragged on, a majority of the book was well-paced and nicely written. I recommend this book to anyone looking for success stories to inspire them, or to anyone who enjoys reading about the ups and downs of someone else’s life.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”