Review by Princepetr -- Compelling American Conversations

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Princepetr -- Compelling American Conversations

Post by Princepetr »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Compelling American Conversations" by Eric H. Roth and Toni Aberson and Hal Bogotch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Compelling American Conversations, by Eric H. Roth, Toni Aberson, and Hal Bogotch, is a book that talks about how learning the English language can transform the lives of immigrants. Learning how to speak and write English helps immigrants in America not only to survive but to advance as well. Speaking English is much more than just a list of words and grammar rules. Language exists for communication. It's about connecting with people. Speaking conversational English is usually just about knowing the right thing to say in any given situation. That is rarely taught in classrooms. A lot of fear around starting conversations come from putting pressure on yourself to have a certain result from the conversation.

The author wants the reader to focus on clear, natural speech, rather than on perfect pronunciation. This will help listeners understand your words and ideas. Many English students think that the faster they speak, the better an impression they will make. This isn’t usually the case. Speaking fast tends to slur their speech and reinforce bad habits. Speaking slowly, on the other hand, will give you time to think about what you are saying and how you are saying it. It will also make you feel more relaxed.

I found this book to be very informative while I read. It really opened my eye to a few conversational tricks which I never knew existed before now. I think it is important that books like these have original information to share with readers. I was happy to see that this book did not disappoint in that regard. For example, I was pleased to understand that topics shouldn't be forced, as that type of energy is a turn-off for anyone. I was also happy to learn about the phases of a conversation. As a result, I look forward to engaging in more positive and productive conversations.

I like this book because the learning process was made interesting and applicable to the reality. I admire the organized sequence of this book. This intermediate American English textbook will help you feel more comfortable in English. It will also help you become more fluent in English and become who you want to be in the United States. There was nothing to dislike about this book. This book, like many other books, comes from a series of conversations with friends, teachers, students, and relatives. We live and learn from the people close to us. I could understand the writer's point of view from the beginning.

I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its tenacity in making sure knowledge is standardized and relatable at the same time. It deserves a full rating because it's easy to read and understand this book.
I would recommend this book to all the teachers of the English language. I would also recommend the book to people that want to learn how to speak English.

Compelling American Conversations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

This book sounds informative. I definitely would learn a thing or two about how a conversation should be built. Thanks for this enlightening review
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Princepetr »

Caffrey_19 wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 10:16 This book sounds informative. I definitely would learn a thing or two about how a conversation should be built. Thanks for this enlightening review
Thanks for your comment, I'm happy you are enlightened.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Great review. From you review, I have already falling in love with the book. I will definitely read this book.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

This book is useful for any English learner I think. I like the way the book makes people discuss about idioms. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”