Official Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pro-Achievement Principle" by Dr. Deborah Bright.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright is a non-fiction book about how workers can become better achievers in their jobs by taking control of their actions and changing their attitudes. The writer uses numerous examples to illustrate her points, making this a practical book for readers. The language in the text is formal and sophisticated, while the author develops a persuasive tone.

The writer begins by identifying the difference between responsibility and responsibleness. Responsibleness is defined as the virtue that allows a person to take ownership of their tasks and look at what he/she can offer to improve the task he/she is doing. It is a behavior that makes an employee walk the extra mile, which can be very beneficial to any employer. Moreover, the author distinguishes pro-achievers from perfectionists and overachievers. The writer then explains the significance of attitude, indicating that an achieving attitude is necessary for a pro-achiever. She also compares pro-achievers with other types of workers, such as negativists, and superficial optimists, highlighting the fact that only a pro-achiever is suitable for leadership positions.

There were several positive characteristics in the book. The book was logically and coherently structured, permitting the reader to understand the writer’s arguments. The author was also very persuasive, as she used sophisticated and complex language, which added a sense of professionalism to the text. The author also utilized case studies and examples to further illustrate her opinions. Furthermore, the entire book only contained a couple of errors, hence the book was exceptionally edited. What I liked most about this guide was that it was practical, and the author helped the reader apply what he/she theoretically learned throughout the book.

What I disliked most about the guide was that it was boring, uninteresting, and monotonous in some parts. This was because the writer added irrelevant details and repeated herself numerous times, thereby creating a boring atmosphere in some cases.

The book is best suited for readers in leadership positions interested in making their employees pro-achievers. Older readers will enjoy this guide more, as younger readers may find it boring and monotonous. This book can be enjoyed by readers of all religions, including non-religion.

All in all, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. It did not deserve a higher rating, as it was monotonous and uninteresting in a few places. Nonetheless, a lower rating would have been unfair, as this is a persuasive, logically structured, professionally edited guide.

The Pro-Achievement Principle
View: on Bookshelves
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

I like that the writer used numerous examples to illustrate her points, making it more relatable for the reader. Nice review.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I applaud the authors persuasive writing, and I love the definition of responsibleness. Curious to know the difference between responsibleness and responsibility.Adding to my list.Thank you.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

This is one book that if the lessons embedded therein is imbibed, it would be a turning point for both the employee and the employer in any corporation. Great review.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

I love books that challenge me to become a better version of myself such as this one. I find it very inspiring. Thanks for the insightful review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

At first I wrote this off as a pretentious book about overachieving, but then you mentioned that the author distinguishes between overachieving and pro-achieving. I may give this book a quick look to read about the difference but I'm not expecting much out of it. Thanks for the review.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Who ever knew there was a clear cut difference between responsibility and responsibleness? Oh well, this author made the difference clear and your sure did state so. From your review, this is recommended for every employee who desires to be outstanding at his/her workplace.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Many a time we have misused the term responsibility. And sometimes, we see perfectionists as being responsible. This book has opened my eyes to many different things and it is challenging me to do more than what I am doing at the moment. it made me see that there are rooms for improvement and that I am yet to be the best version of myself.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Never heard of the terminology pro-achievers, it will be interesting to learn more about the concept. I am also curious as to why it could be boring for young people but less so for older people - amusing comment.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a useful guide full of examples that explain how to become better achievers in your jobs. I like that it's a practical guide that offers factual information based on experience. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I'm not a fan of non-fiction, so I'll be skipping this one, but I do have a question. The author differentiates between responsibility and responsibleness and also talks about pro-achievers, but I wonder if this is done considering the work environment. Not all places have a good environment, which can lead to a potential pro-achiever to become a negativist. I wonder if these points are discussed in the book?
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

I would love to read this book to know more about the qualities possessed by pro-achievers, negativists, and superficial optimists, and how to identify them.
Thanks for this informative and wonderful review. :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Non-fiction is not one of my favorite genres. I prefer my reading to be both entertaining and interesting. I can conclude from the review that this is neither. Also, I am not in leadership and am not really sure what benefit there would be for me. While I do agree with several of the author’s points, this is not for me.
Pietro Aliquo
Currently Reading: Master the Law of Attraction
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pietro-aliquo.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Pietro Aliquo »

Great review - I'm inspired to read this book as should any employee who would like to improve their work ethic, have a better workplace mindset, or find the key to getting further in their chosen career path.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting inspirational nonfiction book highlighting how to apply unrelenting commitment and accountability in yourself and those you manage. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a unique OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”