Review by lindsreadz2020 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lindsreadz2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsreadz2020.html
Latest Review: Irma's Daughters by Jennie Linnane

Review by lindsreadz2020 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by lindsreadz2020 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Burn Zones, by Jorge P. Newbery, was a delight to read and I found it both emotional yet motivating. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author has a captivating writing style and allows an intricate look at how he became who he is today in a raw and compelling way. I became involved in cycling a year ago so the term burn zone is very familiar to me and inherently results in a twinge of pain each time I hear it. This is not out of fear but the understanding that within burn zones there are intense amounts of work and difficulty that are unavoidable. With that said, you do not need to be a cyclist or even familiar with that terminology in order to read and enjoy this book. If you are looking for a story that is infused with an unstoppable entrepreneurial and human spirit, look no further. Or if you’d like to read a success story that has more relatable moments of anguish and doubt which many of us feel every day, this is for you.

This book encompasses the author’s path from kidpreneur to an entrepreneur across various industries, including finance and real estate, and the time he was a professional cyclist in one of two pivotal moments that would define the rest of his life story. You read through each path and feel the passion or pain surrounding each moment described. Never does the author waver in his confidence that through each failure there would be a new challenge that could be tackled with this newfound knowledge. Each burn zone provides an opportunity to grow and optimize your life goals around the pain points of society at that time. There are also family experiences and details which relate to you as a reader in a more personal way. I found that refreshing, and personally close to home which made me more attached to each character involved.

Within the introduction, there is a transition between paragraphs 1 and 3, on page 8, which was needed and rang especially true to me as a fellow cycler. It includes these words, “Everyone’s life is full of burn zones, which test the limits of our bodies and minds.” I highlighted this right away and wrote it down to have handy as a daily reminder to keep moving forward.

One thing I found myself wishing would be formatted in a different way was in Chapter 1, as each career phase of the author’s life is described. I routinely found myself at each starting title wanting to see some kind of date range or time period to connect the dots of the author’s careers. Some parts do include this but it would be nice to see that in every section where those events occurred in a specific time. Being able to tie the journey together with the year and societal circumstances that were happening in parallel would have been beneficial.

Another quote worth highlighting is in Chapter 2, page 59. It comes after a grueling time in the author’s cycling career. There, he reflects on what that meant for his life direction and what may be to come. Jorge writes, “As is common in life, I learned a lot more from my losses than my successes, but I enjoyed my time on the podium far more than my time in the middle of the pack.” Although some of the most difficult struggles we’ll face in life are those after or before we hit the best milestone(s), that’s par for the course and something to make us all stronger for the next time.

With each chapter devoured, I found myself brainstorming new ways to take life’s bad hand and swing it into a positive. I commend and appreciate the author for sharing these life lessons and details with readers and would highly recommend that you take the time to read this book.

Note: I read this book on my Kindle so pages per reader may vary slightly depending on your settings.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”