Review by NBROWN -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NBROWN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nbrown.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review by NBROWN -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by NBROWN »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zone: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is an autobiography about the trials and tribulations of the author Jorge P. Newberry. He is a very accomplished man now in his 50s. He wrote this book at age forty-six about his own life experiences as inspiration to all that have struggled, are struggling and will struggle as they overcome life’s some times daily obstacles. The simple honest realism that comes across as the story is read has the reader rooting for Jorge from the very beginning. In this day and age when we all need a little inspiration, I would recommend the book to readers of almost any age.

The book starts with Jorge at age 7 getting his first job. It was the start of his slow rise to millionaire reality mogul. As he grows up he holds several jobs before getting his GED and leaving school at age 16. He sought out each one of those jobs with a precise goal in mind and the young will to get it done. By his late teens, he owned his own recording company debt-free. After finding no more challenges in the music industry, he switches his career goals to a more personal challenge, Olympic bike racing. This was Jorge’s first exposure to failure, and how to overcome. It was also the start of his real estate knowledge, which services him well as he once again changes the course of his life. By the time he was in his mid thirty’s, he was acquiring run-down apartment buildings and not only renovated but rejuvenated the neighborhoods these buildings where located in. His belief that community comes from the community has stuck with him even today. Unfortunately, the ice storm of 2004 once again changed the course of his life.

The part I liked best was the continual optimism and positive quotes found throughout the book. Jorge’s business values like help people, build relationships, and be liked are still part of his business today. Jorge’s core life values such as honesty, hard work, and simply treating others the way you want to be treated got him to the top many times. As his life struggles changed him for good and bad his ability to hold on to all those core values is inspiring. His sincere style of writing helps keep the reader engaged. The part I liked least about this book is the sad reality that no one can ever really plan for mother nature. Even the most prepared human beings are brought to their knees in natural disasters.

I found this book to be professionally edited with no errors found. It was a pleasure to read with little vulgar language, only one explicit scene, and occasional violence. All of which were true life experiences and key to the story.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to anyone who is over the age of 14, anyone who likes a good underdog story, any entrepreneur, and any other person in need of inspiration. Community building communities, and businesses that actually help the people who need it are not unattainable goals. And hard work does pay off in the end.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”