Review by shejustlovesbooks -- Burn Zones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shejustlovesbooks
Currently Reading: Ninth House
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shejustlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Review by shejustlovesbooks -- Burn Zones

Post by shejustlovesbooks »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is an inspirational memoir that had me captivated from page one! Newbery writes his story with humor and emotion making it such an engaging read! I couldn’t put this book down!

Jorge P. Newbery was a determined businessman from childhood. His memoir takes the reader through his early years and the different jobs he fought to get. As a child, he picked up a paper route, convincing the newspaper that he could handle the responsibility, and then he picks up a second paper route, making his deliveries twice as profitable. This also begins his bicycling career, as riding a bike became a part of his daily routine. He then decides he wants to own the ice cream bike and negotiates the purchase of the bike from the owner. I loved this story so much. Early on in the book, this experience really shows how determined Newbery is, and how hard he was willing to work to get what he wanted.

The memoir continues to take the reader through the ups and downs of Newbery’s life. The ups include owning a recording studio, while the downs of his journey climax with him ending up twenty-six million dollars in debt. He tells his story with a wonderful mix of happy moments and emotional reflection offering chances to laugh and contemplate the events of his life. The overall feel of the story is one of empowerment to take your life into your own hands. I liked the message and the way that Newbery delivers it.

I loved how Newbery wrote his memoir. It felt like a conversation with the author where he was down-to-earth and candid about his life. He moves from story to story seamlessly, making the pace of the book perfect. I did not feel that he lingered too long on one portion of his life but instead flowed from one event to the next with perfect timing.

Newbery discusses his title Burn Zones in the introduction to his book. I really liked how he connected a bicycling term with our everyday lives. A burn zone is a section of a race where you put the extra effort in, and it may burn, but the effort is worth the reward. He talks about how he has had burn zones throughout his life, not just in bicycling. I was really interested in this concept and his discussion on it. It made me reflect on my own burn zones, and I think that any reader will be able to take this message and apply it to their own life.

Overall, this book is an inspirational story filled with powerful ideas delivered in an easy-to-read story. I found this book to be well-edited as I did not find any grammatical errors and am rating this a four out of four stars because of the editing, excellent writing, and impressive story. I would recommend Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery to readers that enjoy memoirs with an uplifting story.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”