Review by Red0217 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Red0217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-red0217.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Red0217 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Red0217 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zone: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge Newberry is an autobiography that left me inspired. The journey starts in his youth, where his determination set events into place that helped carry him through life. Jorge shares his roller coaster experience with business, family, society, and bike racing. The story concludes at a more recent time where he found love and started the new chapter in his life. Though Jorge suffered hardships, he found strength to succeed, and found the lesson in all the strife. He refers to these hard times as “burn zones”, key moments in life that can make or break you, usually moments that test your mind and/or body.

There were many things I liked most about this book. It was a very inspiring tale about the trials in life and the lessons that follow. The book read so smoothly it was hard to put down. Photos were used to add an extra layer of detail to the story. The emotion was very well captured and easily felt by the reader. One example of this is how exclamation marks were used to capture the excitement of Jorge’s youth. Also, the theme “burn zone” was intertwined throughout the entire book which neatly tied everything together. Jorge showed how important human connection is and made me reflect on my impact on the world.

There was nothing that I disliked most about the book. For me it checked all the boxes. Well written, well edited, nice flow, and interesting. Jorge Newberry did an excellent job capturing his life in a book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I give this rating because Burn Zone: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is a well written and edited book that left nothing to be desired. It has good guys, bad guys, hope, and disappointment, everything that kept me entertained the whole time. Jorge spotlighted issues in our society and showed his experience with those issues. Jorge left me with thoughts to take with me, and fuel conquer my own “burn zones”.

This book is motivating and worth the read. I would recommend this book to everyone. However, there are two details in the book that could possibly make some readers uncomfortable. One theme in this book is race inequality and some events regarding this contains racially offensive words. Another detail includes police, and how sometimes their authoritative presence only amplifies the issue. Both the racially offensive words and police events are used to simply tell Jorge Newberry’s story and are not used as a vessel to be negative. These details helped me to understand challenges others have and help strengthen the human connection. Nevertheless, these points about the book could make some uncomfortable.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”