Official Review: The Beauty of the Lord by Patrick Brady

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: The Beauty of the Lord by Patrick Brady

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Beauty of the Lord" by Patrick Brady.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Beauty of the Lord by Patrick Brady is a religious book meant to show Christians how to live with Jesus, not their own desires, at the forefront of their lives. The author describes his struggle with alcoholism and how he came to follow Jesus and learned to give up his attachment to the material world. He also includes information about how the world is currently at the end of the Church Age, a time of darkness preceding the great harvest foretold in the Bible. He uses these two ideas to talk about how people should choose, in this time, to turn back towards Jesus and place him at the forefront of their lives.

My largest issues with this book was the level of generalization it employed. With the author making such a specific claim by saying that we are in the end of the Church Age just before the great harvest, I would have thought he had specific evidence to back up this idea. Instead, he offers generalizations about how dark times are, how people have fallen away from God, and how Christian beliefs are being challenged worldwide. These are things that people have been saying for generations, so I don’t consider them to be strong evidence to suggest that we are now at the end of the Church Age.

In addition to this example, the issues with generalization carried over to other areas of the book. The author gives very few specific suggestions as to how people should follow Jesus and live with Him at the forefront of their lives. He constantly says that we must leave our concerns for the material world behind, but there are few concrete suggestions of what this might look like.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is well written and offers some interesting ideas about our position in the timeline of the Bible, but I don’t feel like I took anything from it that would affect how I live my life each day. I gave it two stars instead of one because I learned some interesting history about the Bible, but I couldn’t give it more than two stars since I feel that it failed in its mission of pushing the reader to change the way they live their life.

I would recommend this book to adult readers who are interested in explanations of the metaphors and parables in the Bible or those who would like to find out why the author believes we are at the end of the Church Age. If you are looking for concrete suggestions on how to live a life that is pleasing to God, I would recommend you look elsewhere.

The Beauty of the Lord
View: on Bookshelves
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for your review. I find it difficult to reading many of the religious books meant to guide people to Christianity because they often are just the opinion of the author. I am a religious person, but if I were not, I would need a book that provides details into what Christianity looks like. It sounds like this book missed the mark on anything in depth.
Jennifer Ibiam
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-ibiam.html
Latest Review: Rosemary's Beach House by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Jennifer Ibiam »

Thank you for this review. But in all honesty, I stay away from any religious book that isn't the bible. These books are simply written from the author's point of view and may not be the absolute truth.
So in order not to get confused or miss my way, I always pass. And right now, I'll pass.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Great review! As a Christian, I'm intrigued when I see books like this one, but if the author didn't bother to include his homework about his theories, and ultimately the book isn't practical, I'll pass. Thanks for the insight!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Nah, no way! When it comes to my faith, I have a mantra which read "know ye thy God for yourself." And this informs everything I do, especially where my Christian life is concerned.

You don't write a book as sensitive as this, then fill it up with blanket statements and assertions. You should do your homework so as not to confuse the impressionable and weak in faith. The end is here, so sayeth the world even before my birth

At the end of the day, we all see God differently.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

A Christian book with no tangible information on how to be a better Christian is like an arrow that missed its target. If we are truly in the end-times like he stipulated, his goal should be to get as many people as possible to embrace Jesus with actionable steps, not vague generalizations that ultimately does nothing for the reader. Thanks for your honest review.
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I like the theme of restoration, like that of being delivered from alcoholism through having a personal relationship with Jesus. Nice review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Scatollogy is a very interesting subject, and quite delicate when it comes to people's sensitivity if not handled properly. The concept caught my attention, however, not having fundations that are strong enough to hold the author's claims might be a good enough reason to skip this one. Thanks for the review!
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I love books that explain intelligent lessons from religions and do not try to appear so religious. I am not sure if this book is exactly that kind of book but it does sound good when the author tried to give up alcohol. If anyone knows books that teach and explain Christianity in easy-to-understand ways please inform me I will appreciate it a lot.

Thank you Julianna for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”