Review by hannahmonhollen -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hannahmonhollen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahmonhollen.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by hannahmonhollen -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by hannahmonhollen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"People typically treat you the way you treat them. It's human nature, good human nature."

What is a burn zone? Jorge P. Newbery thinks of them as areas in sports and life with unforeseen obstacles. Hardships that could keep you down if you let them. The way trials eliminated good athletes from true competitors. Everyone enters burn zones in their life. Newbery's book will inspire you to endure them and come through even stronger than before.

Jorge, just fifteen at the time, begged his parents to let him drop out of high school and pursue a career in the record industry. After earning a job as a paperboy, at age seven, and establishing a successful icecream delivery rout by eleven, he felt ready to take on a new challenge. The music industry taught Jorge skills like negotiation and marketing. When experience let him master a skill set, Jorge raced on to a new ambition. Jorge pushed himself to become a world-class cyclist before discouragement made him look for a career in real estate. In thirteen years, Jorge worked his way up from novice to owning an empire of over four thousand apartments across the country. An ice storm, and a city hoping for his demise, brought personal and financial ruin down on Jorge Newbery, leaving him millions of dollars in debt, and in the hardest burn zone he would ever have to face.

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery is an engaging autobiography. He recalls the lessons life taught him with passion and invites the reader to look at the world from a new perspective. Kind-hearted, ambitious, and unafraid to risk everything, Newbery has experienced both the best and worst of human nature. Written with the sincere authenticity of an eternal optimist, the reader truly joins Newbery on his journey through many burn zones. In the end, we come to understand that not everyone is willing to help their fellow man or even treat him fairly, but the ones that do can genuinely make a difference.

Burn Zones touches every topic from politics and racial discrimination to the mindset of a professional athlete and entrepreneur, even death, life, and happiness. Anyone can relate to Newbery's struggles, which makes his book a joy to read. However, I must note the rare instance of profane language. There are a few moments, usually when Newbery is quoting someone, where the F-bomb is used. In no way does this detract from the appeal of his work. Instead, the addition of profanity grants authenticity to the story and circumstances.

I can not offer any critiques that would make Burn Zones better. It is exceptionally well-written and equally well-edited. I found no grammatical errors, and the story flows from page to page. For his outstanding work, I am pleased to give Jorge P. Newbery's book Burn Zones a perfect 4 out of 4 star rating. This is the story of an overcomer. I can easily recommend it to anyone who loves to cheer for the underdog.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by snowbear »

I like how the author has a range of topics from racial discrimination to being a professional athlete and entrepreneur. A lot has happened in Jorge's life, and I think one can learn a lot from his story. Thank you so much for your well-written review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”