Official Review: The Grandma Force by Harriet Hodgson, MA

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: The Grandma Force by Harriet Hodgson, MA

Official Review: The Grandma Force by Harriet Hodgson, MA

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Grandma Force" by Harriet Hodgson, MA.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“When she smiles, the lines in her face become epic narratives that trace the stories of generations that no book can replace.” – Curtis Tyrone Jones

The Grandma Force by Harriet Hodgson is an inspiring and comprehensive guide for grandmothers. At 14 chapters and a little short of 250 pages, it covers all the aspects of grandparenting, starting with how grandmas were yesterday and the dynamic change that their role witnessed over the years. It also touches on the types of grandmothers, like the formal, the fun-seeking, the wise, and the long-distance grandma. Additionally, it elaborates on how to build a loving and lasting relationship with grandchildren and how to communicate with them, especially as they get older.

The seasoned author and speaker that she is, Mrs. Hodgson uses a smooth and engaging writing style, which is well-researched, referenced, and supported by useful examples and handy links.

I liked the first-hand experience that the author shared, having practically raised her now-grown-up twin grandchildren, because of a tragedy that had hit the family. This added such depth, credibility, and insight to the wisdom delivered on the pages of this book. The organization of the book and the age-tailored approach made for The Grandma Force a smooth sailing.

Furthermore, I appreciated the practical and sound advice on a myriad of issues that are sometimes overlooked, such as paying attention to the mental and physical wellbeing of the grandparent as a caregiver, as well as reaching the sublime place of knowing when to hold on to grandchildren and when to let them go.

The strikingly inspiring portrayal of grandmothers as empowering role models and activists for causes that pique their interest, made me look at grandparenting in a new light. The author says, “Grandmas are competing in marathons, serving on boards, running for office, and starting businesses. Some grandmas want to improve communities. Others want to improve the world. While our goals differ, courageous grandmothers are attracting the attention of visual and print media.”

That said, I cannot think of anything I disliked about The Grandma Force. Having not come across a single error throughout the whole book is a testament to its impeccable editing, which added to my enjoyment while reading it. I think The Grandma Force would appeal to a wide scope of readers. I, therefore, highly recommend it to parents, grandparents, children, and grandchildren, each of whom is bound to find in it something to relate to and cherish. Considering all the aforementioned, it gives me immense pleasure to rate The Grandma Force by Harriet Hodgson 4 out of 4 stars.

On a final note, I cannot but agree with the author about grandmothers being fountains of wisdom and common sense. The love, the kindness, and the far-sightedness that were bestowed upon me and my brothers by our grandmas are invaluable assets, that I would like for my children to experience with their grandmothers.

The Grandma Force
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Last Merry Go Round by C.L. Charlesworth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love the premise of this book! This would be a great gift for the grandparents. Perhaps a chapter in grandparenting during a pandemic would be a great addition. Thanks!

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 13:29
I love the premise of this book! This would be a great gift for the grandparents. Perhaps a chapter in grandparenting during a pandemic would be a great addition. Thanks!
What a great idea! I think there's always room for addition of new chapters based on the current circumstances. I hope the author gets to read your suggestion. Thanks much for the thoughtful insight.

Michelle Fred
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook by Andrew Stevenson

Post by Michelle Fred »

This is such an important book. Good grandmothers take on many labors of love to care for their grandchildren and in so doing neglect their own wellness. I like that the author put their mental health into consideration. Thanks for your detailed analysis of the book, I enjoyed it.

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Michelle Fred wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 17:47
This is such an important book. Good grandmothers take on many labors of love to care for their grandchildren and in so doing neglect their own wellness. I like that the author put their mental health into consideration. Thanks for your detailed analysis of the book, I enjoyed it.
Thank you for stopping by and for the comment.

Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I like how this book is family oriented and the warm story of the grand ma. Thanks for the enjoyable review.

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Harty wrote:
18 Apr 2020, 08:46
I like how this book is family oriented and the warm story of the grand ma. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
Thank you!

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

A befitting gift for a Grandma. They are great legends who have lived, seen and experienced, making them fountains of wisdom. They may be frail, but their minds are energetic.

This book sounds like a hands on help or guide that will help foster the best relationships between grandmothers and their grandkids.

I'm not a grandmum, but I wouldn't mind reading it to know how their minds work. Thanks.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Magnify3 »

Such an interesting book. Very encouraging for those who have reached the Grandmother milestone as well as those that are approaching it. Thanks for the review!

Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Am sure getting this book for my mum as a gift.I know she will like it because she loves reading.I love the review.

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Splendour0606 wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 14:03
Am sure getting this book for my mum as a gift.I know she will like it because she loves reading.I love the review.
I hope she likes it. Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”