Official Review: The Term Limit Revolution by Scott Murphy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 1188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Term Limit Revolution by Scott Murphy

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Term Limit Revolution" by Scott Murphy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While I try to avoid politics like the plague, I've heard plenty of information about why term limits are important. This made me incredibly interested in a term limit revolution! For those not familiar with term limits, they're exactly what they sound like: limits on the number of terms a person can be elected to a specific position in government. For example, the President of the United States is limited to two terms as president. After a particular president has served two terms, they can't run for president ever again, even if they were the greatest president of all time. However, people who run for the House of Representatives or Senate can be elected over and over without any limit whatsoever. This limitless, potentially life-long electability is the focus of The Term Limit Revolution by Scott Murphy.

I was surprised by how inviting The Term Limit Revolution was. It's easy to read and doesn't rely on the reader having any knowledge about how the United States government works. While The Term Limit Revolution is technically a political book, it's entirely bipartisan.

The focus of this book is singular: term limits. Scott takes readers through the importance of creating an amendment that would enforce term limits, then gives specifics about how readers can help make the amendment happen. He shows readers how a lack of term limits encourages politicians to focus all of their time on being reelected, and how this leads to corruption, scandals, and an eternity of never accomplishing anything. In fact, Scott shows readers how accomplishing important things would negatively affect a politician!

Scott includes some terrific specifics in his book, but he also includes lots of comparisons. The huge battles between Democrats and Republicans alone are compared to professional wrestling, Orson Welles's 1982, and Siegfried and Roy (the magicians). This is done in a way that's equally illuminating and entertaining, and these comparisons give the author's points added weight.

My favorite part of the book is that Scott includes lots of realistic specifics about how to make the term limits amendment a reality. I also appreciated that Scott was able to get me enthusiastic about his term limit revolution. However, while the book is nearly 200 pages long, some thorough editing could have cut out at least 20-40% of that content. Scott often makes the same point multiple times in a row, and then again in the next chapter, then once more a couple of chapters later. By the end of the book, my passion for the revolution was nearly gone.

There are also numerous grammatical errors. While I found less than one per ten pages, there were still more than 10 errors in the book. I was also disappointed that the author's website doesn't work. I visited to sign the petition and got an error the entire day I tried to visit. Discussion about the website gets a fair amount of space in the book, and it sounded like a terrific way for readers to maximize their effort toward making the term limits amendment happen. The other website listed in the book was functional though.

While I'd give The Term Limit Revolution 2.5 stars if I could, I'm satisfied giving it 3 out of 4 stars. Scott does a great job with the information he provided, both with its quality and the way he presents it. Readers should just keep in mind that the book is quite repetitive, even compared to books that repeat the main points once or twice to ensure readers remember them.

The Term Limit Revolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Miraphery »

Politics is not really a topic I'm interested in and considering the repetitions occurring throughout the book, I'm not quite sure I'd enjoy it. Thanks for the review.
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I don't mind a bit of political treatise on the term limits especially focusing on the US House of Representatives. So I may be interested in reading this one. Thanks for the great review.
damis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Armageddon and Beyond by Adam Declerck

Post by damis »

That's a very interesting point of view. While politics is not something that I enjoy at all, I'm aware it is something we all should invest some time on, it is after all, a great part of what defines our life and possibilities of thriving (any nation with a bad government would agree on the impact politics can have). I will check it out. Thanks for the review!
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

Politic books are not my favorite ones so I think I will pass this one. Thank you for your review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”