Review by parg28 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
parg28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parg28.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review by parg28 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by parg28 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re looking for an inspirational story to lift up your spirits and make you feel like there’s a glimmer of hope in even the darkest moments of your life, then you need to read Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newberry. This autobiographical book tells Jorge’s story, from when he landed his first job as a paper delivery boy as a child, to starting his first business, to becoming a competitive cyclist and then a highly landlord successful who lost everything. The book revolves around the idea of burn zones of cyclists, where you push yourself to physical and mental limits. Readers are taken on a journey to find the answer to this question: Will Jorge be able to survive this burn zone or will he drop out of the race?

What I liked most about this book is the honest portrayal of events that the author went through. He doesn’t mince his words or gloss over what happened, whether it was good or bad. Instead, he tells us about his successes and failures. The way the story is written helps to build up the image of the author as a successful businessman who always takes on new challenges and succeeds. However, as with some things in life, not everything goes as planned. This book isn’t a lessen in how to make a fortune, but a lessen in to how to think of failures as speed bumps rather than roadblocks.

I also like how it’s not your average inspirational story that tells you how to deal with your problems or gives a step-by-step process for overcoming trials and tribulations. Instead, readers are shown the reality a downfall. It’s a story about loss, yes, but the real message is that you can overcome loss if you keep moving forward.

What I disliked most is that the book takes on an almost accusatory quality towards the middle. The tone of the writing changed, as though the author chose this as the outlet to lay the blame for his unfortunate downfall on the people around him. In the end, the author clarified that perhaps the others were not completely to blame. However, that section of the book seemed to hold all his anger and felt like it shifted away from the message he wanted to convey.

This book is a social commentary, a thank-you to his parents and a story of perseverance through life’s burn zones. In short, it’s a story well worth reading that anyone can relate to, whether you face burn zones in your personal or professional life. The book itself is very well written, with only a few minor grammatical errors. However, there is profanity throughout, so if readers are offended by the F-word, I would advise them to avoid this book, or to take into consideration that this word is used several times. For people who want to read a tale that can inspire them to become the driving force in their own life, to take charge and be responsible for their own success while learning from failures, this book is perfect. Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for the excellent writing and storytelling.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”