Review by IchbineinBerliner -- The MISOGI Method

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Review by IchbineinBerliner -- The MISOGI Method

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MISOGI Method" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Misogi Method: The Way to Achieve Lasting Happiness and Success by Jody B. Miller describes a process for improving one's state of mind using a modern variation of an ancient Shinto purification ritual, called misogi. Historically, the person prepared for misogi by fasting and prayer, and then stood in an ice-cold waterfall while chanting. The process, while uncomfortable, was supposed to rid one of negative energies and help the bather embrace life, renewed. The modified version, as promoted by Jody B. Miller, is called the Misogi Method, and it does not necessarily involve bathing in ice-water. Instead, the individual must pick a mental, physical or spiritual challenge of some kind. The challenge, which is called the misogi, can be ANYTHING. The individual must have a less than 50% chance of success, and the challenge must not kill the subject or hurt anyone else. The idea is that the challenge will draw the subject so far out of their comfort zone that the experience will be profoundly transformational, even if the subject does not manage to complete their entire misogi. After even an incomplete misogi, the subject should feel happier, more confident, and more at peace. These are all qualities that translate into a more successful professional life, too.

Ms. Milller is an author, a motivational speaker and a happiness counselor. She also describes herself as an application theorist ™. In the first part of her book, she breaks the Misogi Method down into the steps one needs to choose and complete a personal misogi, and encourages the reader to write answers to simple exercises at the end of each chapter in order to organize his/her thoughts and find a misogi. Several links to personality self-tests are included at the end of the book, and the reader is encouraged to use them as necessary to understand his/her own strengths and weaknesses. The last half of the book consists of transcripts from Ms. Miller's TEDx talk and her interviews with an athlete and several entrepreneurs, who have all used the Misogi Method.

I liked the chapters about how to choose a misogi. The advice seems practical, if a little overblown. The transcript of the TEDx talk was also interesting, although it was partly a review of the text. My favorite part was the TEDx descriptions of Michelangelo and Harlan Sanders as individuals who found and completed their misogi.

I disliked the transcripts of the interviews. They seem like little more than lengthy endorsements from notable satisfied customers. I can see why the author would want their testimonials, but 150+ pages of endorsements seems a little much to me, even when the recommendations come from such interesting people.

I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. It appears to be professionally edited, and it is free of profanity or sexual references. It will interest anyone who is looking for a way to improve their life.

The MISOGI Method
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”