Review by Mr_Wimbaum -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mr_Wimbaum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Review by Mr_Wimbaum -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mr_Wimbaum »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is an autobiographical account of his entrepreneurial triumphs and pitfalls, sporting achievements, and determination to succeed and take risks. Not only has Jorge P. Newbery written a book that is captivating, he has managed to share insights into risk management, self-belief, and how compassion and business savviness can go hand-in-hand.

In Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands, we are allowed insight into the life of one of America’s most successful entrepreneurs and property moguls. Beginning his business life early, the reader follows along the author’s path from an optimistic paper boy, at seven years old, to ice-cream vendor, at age eleven, to record producer and event coordinator, at age seventeen, and so on until becoming a property investor in his thirties with an impressive catalogue of over 4000 properties. Jorge P. Newbery has written in such a way that the reader feels they are a part of his narrative, feeling and experiencing all that he does in his endeavours.

Not usually one to enjoy, or even consider reading, an autobiography, I really enjoyed Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands. It was interesting being given insight into the mind of a young, eager, businessman and entrepreneur. It is fascinating to see how a person can find the will and determination to keep moving forward after facing setback after setback. Jorge P. Newbery recounts key moments in his life in which the support and familiarity of his family ties are what helped him get through tough times. I really enjoyed this aspect of the book, as it makes me feel like all you really need to succeed in life, and get over life’s bad hands, is a supportive family. The only thing I did not like about the book was the extended metaphor of cycling burn zones, as the author’s cycling career only was an exceedingly small part of his life, and of the book.

If you enjoy reading about how people have managed to fight through adversities and challenge themselves, then Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is the right choice for your next read. Anyone fascinated by entrepreneurial success and business management will love this book. Even those, like myself, who are looking to venture into the world of autobiographies, will find this an excellent first step towards more heavy books in the genre. I wouldn’t recommend this book to young audiences, unless like Jorge P. Newbery, they have an enthusiastic attitude towards business.

Overall, I would rate Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands a very solid 4 out of 4. It has clearly been professionally edited, it is extremely well-written, and keeps the reader engaged from the outset. There is no bad language or vulgarity in the book, and I do not think anyone will be disappointed if they picked up a copy and gave it a read.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”