Review by Deadoc1996 -- Waste Not, Borrow Not

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deadoc1996
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deadoc1996.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Review by Deadoc1996 -- Waste Not, Borrow Not

Post by Deadoc1996 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waste Not, Borrow Not" by Takako Daniel.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you get stressed out when the end of the month is around the corner? Is it because you've run out of cash before your payday or that day when you settle the bills is peeking on you? Do you wish you had a little extra cash but you don't know how you can get it? Do you wish to take just a little bit of time off work so you could spend the time with your kids but you know you can't afford it? Well, it's actually easier than you think and all you have to do is to have a resolute heart and careful planning. It's indeed hard to make ends meet especially when you make a bare minimum but it does not mean you have to live cheque by cheque and you can actually save.

Waste not, Borrow not by Takako Daniel is a nonfiction book that talks about different ways you can save money from your day to day spending to your annual spending and save just about enough for your pension and retirement. The book starts off by the author explaining her origin and how she ended coming up with the different ways of saving she mentions in the book later on. She starts off by explaining she came from humble beginnings and she had to learn how to save by observing how her parents used to do it. This came a long way to help her with her own savings when she moved out. She talks about how you can save from the bulb you buy for the insurance you take. At first, it seems like change but once it's a continuous monthly action you actually see it paying a dividend.

What I liked most about the book is how the author took her time to elaborate on everything she suggests. For example, let's look at electricity bills. She goes onto explain how you can minimize the use of electricity by giving suggestions on what type of bulbs save energy, how to fully charge your laptop and phone by utilizing the least amount of electricity and therefore reducing your monthly electricity bill. You may at times think the author comes out a bit naggy but you can't argue with her maths. Whatever she suggests she supplements it with its own calculation just as proof to show how much you've saved. An added bonus is she tells you different stores and places where you can purchase the pieces of equipment at a pretty sensible prize. Now, do you ever see that happening often, I think not?

What I disliked most about the book is how the editor made little mistakes on the spacing and some words are repeated. For example in chapter three-paragraph two line three page twelve: "I use crickets and and am set up for automatic payments.". I believe this and the other Little mistakes could have been avoided. Considering all this I ended up rating the book 2 out of 4 stars. The book was an interesting read though the little mistakes made it a little cumbersome to read.

The book is recommended to someone who actually willing to go some of the extravagant spendings while still earning the bare minimum. It will be quite helpful. It's not limited to the bare minimum earners but can also be used by just about anyone who looking for different ways to save. If you are looking for romance, adventure, science fiction, action, and history am sorry to disappoint but this is not the book for you

Waste Not, Borrow Not
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”