Review by Yaara -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yaara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yaara.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Yaara -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Yaara »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery is an inspiring autobiography of his, in it, he is describing the struggles he went through, and the creative ways in which he dealt with them.

In his book, Jorge deploys to the reader his life journey. His successes, his failures, and recoveries from each failure - are all there. Both financially and personally, Jorge develops and matures along with the book, and shares the learned life lessons which he collected on the way. From a very young age, he is very independent and initiative. Each time, he accepts another challenge upon himself and works extremely hard to achieve his goals. Jorge is employed very soon in his life, alternating jobs as he grows up. When he refers to the harder parts of life, he uses the term Burn Zones, taken from cycling. He defines the term "Burn Zones" as "relatively short periods of extraordinary effort". This term is used originally in the context of bike-riding, but Jorge uses it to describe both physical and mental great efforts. In the book, he depicts his life's Burn Zones and his way out of them.

I sincerely enjoyed this book. I love that while radiating optimism, it still manages to concern with fundamental issues in society. On the one hand, the story displays the darker side of the human collective - racism, poverty, civil-police relations problems, and more. On the other hand, it holds a positive message, delivering the idea that there is always a chance for rehabilitation. I think that the author managed to demonstrate the complexity of life without any sugarcoating while maintaining his optimism. I find it truly beautiful.

Moreover, I find the character (a.e. Jorge) itself very much intriguing. Jorge has an extraordinary life story and an exceptional ability to make the best out of every situation. He is entirely devoted to what is valuable to him, such as family and business, as well as ideologies. Above all, he is full of the will to help people and generally do good.

The only flaw of the book is its form of writing. The story itself is inspirational as well as educative, but the style of writing is occasionally a bit dull. It contains lots of professional terms and names of companies, which makes it hard to follow the plot. Despite that, I still give this book 4 out of 4 stars, because I think that this book is very much worth reading, and the flaw I mentioned does not take any of its value.

I already said everything I had to say about this book. I will only add that I strongly recommend this book.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”