Review by Twinkiebing -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Twinkiebing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinkiebing.html
Latest Review: Homeward by Denis Pickwell

Review by Twinkiebing -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Twinkiebing »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In cycling, burn zones are the moment during the race when you have to push yourself physically and mentally in order to finish strong. Having been a cyclist himself, Jorge P. Newberry relates in his memoir, Burn Zones, how he used this technique throughout his life to push through hard times and come out successful on the other side. I give Burn Zones 4 out of 4 stars. It was well written and I could tell it had been professionally edited. It was engaging and shares life lessons that are applicable to all.

Newberry grew up in Los Angeles and always had an ambitious nature. At age seven, he started delivering papers for two local newspapers to be more efficient. He never shied away from an opportunity to learn, work hard, and earn more money. He eventually got into the real estate business and became successful, owning properties in several states. His ambition, however, propelled him beyond just making money. He also spent several years as a cyclist and pushed himself as an athlete. It was during this time that he learned about burn zones and developed the skills that would later help him build his business and push through the financial hardships that would bring.

I especially like that Newberry didn’t hold anything back, not in his life nor in his storytelling. He was honest and open and shared all his ups and downs. Being able to connect with the author, kept me cheering him on as a reader. I really wanted things to work out for him. While he has experienced greater success and defeat than I, he still portrayed himself as a regular guy. This helped me feel I could also apply the same lessons in my life and push through my own burn zones. I loved the relationship he had with his dad. I’ll admit, I cried at the end when his father went through his own burn zone.

The only problem I could see some might have with the book is, at times, Newberry came across as a little arrogant. I took it as he was just very confident in what he had learned. There were also a few times when I thought he went into too much detail when explaining his business ventures. I’m not particularly interested in the workings of real estate, so I thought the details were tedious. However, it was easy to skim those parts and still get a basic understanding of what was going on.

I recommend Burn Zones to readers who enjoy memoirs. If you are an entrepreneur, you would also enjoy reading this book and find it inspiring. Though the content is more appealing to adults, it is appropriate for all readers. Overall, it was a great read.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”