Review by lrosselli -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lrosselli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lrosselli.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review by lrosselli -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by lrosselli »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is a fascinating novel that follows the life and trials of Jorge Newbery. From newspaper deliverer to punk record label creator to loan originator to real estate investor, I think it is more than fair to say that Newbery had quite a full life and many experiences throughout it. However, in this first publication of his, he focuses on the trials (or what he likes to refer to as "burn zones") and how he got through them.

Newbery was a natural born businessman, obtaining his first job at the age of 7 and his first business at the age of 11. Clearly, that talent as a child followed him into adulthood as he became a real estate investor and made millions and then, after a stroke of misfortune, lost millions. The novel follows the rise and fall of Newbery starting with his childhood career as a newspaper deliverer and ending with his ownership of the American Homeowner Preservation.

Despite, Newbery being generally green to writing, he delivers an honest, thought-provoking novel. He is open about his mistakes that he made and what he has learned since. I especially appreciated his ability to put a reader into his previous mindset and then bring a reader forward into his current mindset. Honestly, I came into this novel thinking that I would not like Newbery as a person because, in my opinion, the book summary casts him in a bad light, but by the end of the novel I was undoubtedly rooting for Newbery’s success.

Contrarily, I did not enjoy that he sometimes fluctuated through topics without any reason it seemed. In certain instances, it was easy to get lost as he abruptly switched through topics. However, the times where this was an issue were few and with, at the worst, a little re-reading, anyone could understand what Newbery was trying to convey.

Due to the well-written, insightful, and ever-entertaining content of this book as well as the author's skill in guiding a reader through his emotions, I rate this book four out of four stars. This novel was truly a page-turner and Newbery did an excellent job building up tension to the disasters of the story. I strongly recommend this book to any aspiring businesspeople and to anyone involved in the punk community because you can see how Newbery's experiences in the punk community impacted his views on the world forever.

Truly, I hope that this is not the last of this kind of writing that we see from Newbery. I do know that he has plans to write at least one more book, but it will be about how to settle debt.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Cjnsl2003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cjnsl2003 »

Great review! Sounds like an interesting read. I’ll have to check it out!

Nleckemby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nleckemby »

What an insightful review.

disneywizard4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by disneywizard4 »

Honestly, I never really liked stories that had to do with anything with business, I just never really found it interesting for me. It's bland and exhausting to read but your review makes this book sound intregruing and well written though. It makes me want to read it.

Falconcrest
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

You have managed to capture, the essence of the whole story. Thanks for the outstanding review

ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 324
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: COVID19: Companion Handbook: A Case Based Approach by Chowdhury H Ahsan, MD,Ph.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

I agree that the topic of "burn zones" gets a bit lost in the narrative at times. You did a good job of linking Newbery's punk experiences with his contemporary attitudes. Great review!

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Stand Up! For Yourself by Jennie Msangi
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading »

The more reviews I read on this book, the more convinced I am to try it out. I am glad it had a positive impact on you. Great review!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: San Diego and the Legendary Blue Fire
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan »

This one has been a hot topic recently. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”