Review by JoyALB -- Let’s Mountain Bike!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by JoyALB -- Let’s Mountain Bike!

Post by JoyALB »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Let’s Mountain Bike!" by Paul Molenberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let's Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg is, as it states on the cover, a complete guide to mountain biking. It contains all the necessary information someone who wants to start out in this sport would need- how to choose the best bike, essential accessories a mountain biker must have, and anything else you can possibly imagine, or, as in my case, couldn't possibly have imagined about mountain biking.

I studied Journalism during a period when the face of this career was undergoing a massive change. No longer were Journalists confined to simply writing stories or just taking photos, but essential skills such as videography were required. At some point we were taught about different camera angles and after this I could never look at movies the same way again. The same thing happened after I finished reading this book. Mountain biking and bikes in general will never look the same to me again.

The author did a fantastic job of explaining all the intricacies of mountain biking and how to choose the best mountain bike. Be warned: he really goes in-depth so if you are planing on reading this, be prepared for long explanations on things like pedals and wheels (for mountain bikes of course). This makes it the perfect book for beginner mountain bikers as it also contains information for how to start out in the sport, how to avoid crashing, what to do if you do crash, etc.

The book is divided into 5 parts and has 20 chapters. On the contents page is listed exactly what you will find in these parts and chapters, so you can skip some- if you think you know enough about fitness training for example- and read the parts you are interested in. I found part three, which talks about riding skills, very interesting. I never knew there was so much to consider before ever climbing on a bike. This gave me a new respect for mountain bikers and professional bikers in general.

I did not find any noticeable errors during my reading, leading me to believe that this book was professionally edited. This makes it easy for me to rate Let's Mountain Bike! 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to all mountain bike enthusiasts, whether you are well adept in this sport or not. It is a must-read for beginner mountain bikers and an essential tool for those who wish to start. If you are not that interested in mountain biking, you may find this a bit boring.

Let’s Mountain Bike!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Spanish Sunrise
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle
2022 Reading Goal: 150
2022 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I read the first ten pages of this one and was easily impressed by the educational and entertaining writing style as well! It’s like a “crash” course on how not to do just that. Enjoyed your review of this title!
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 21:02 I read the first ten pages of this one and was easily impressed by the educational and entertaining writing style as well! It’s like a “crash” course on how not to do just that. Enjoyed your review of this title!
Glad you enjoyed it 😀 Thank you for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”