Review by bellajavier -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Review by bellajavier -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by bellajavier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From being a seven-year-old who distributed newspapers to an eleven-year-old who bought his own first ice cream truck, to a school dropout who quickly rose to the category 1 of cyclists, to an amateur flourishing in the real-estate business, to someone very close to bankruptcy, to being the founder and CEO of American Homeowner Preservation, we travel with Newbery through his life's journey and unravel all his burn zones. Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery is a story of a starry-eyed young boy with dreams heavier than his shoulders. He propelled through every hardship with a calm demeanor and crushed each of his burn zones. But at one point his excessive optimism backfires, and he becomes a pawn in the politics played out by the City, becoming indebted to millions of dollars. Although constantly haunted by his failures, he learns from them and comes up with a strategy to help people who are stuck in a position much similar to his. He uses his expertise and comes up with a “too good to be true” solution. His loss ignites his passion and makes him look at the hindsight before taking a step, becoming financially stable once again.

The book was a marvelous read. When the story started to unfold, Newbery was sort of a superhuman in my eyes. He was always doubted, yet he would prove everyone wrong. To be relentlessly ambitious at the age of seven was something that left me in awe of Newbery. His quick learning, his extensive assessments, his passion to overcome any burn zone was undeniably inspirational. But when he lost the battle of recovering Woodland Meadows, he gained a more human touch in his character. His anxieties, his struggle to keep his head above the water in the ocean of debt pulling him under and his grinding of teeth till the point they were damaged, made him much more relatable. To be inspirational, you do not have to be heroic; you just have to be strong enough to instill a sense of courage into others. As Newbery rebuilt himself, married, became an author and took care of his parents, he inculcated a new sense of inspiration in my mind. His story's ending showed that his actions can be followed if we learn to acquire that level of determination, although it is not a smooth ride.

Constantly throughout the book, the author keeps throwing the term burn zones as a hard obstacle that can be overcome with wit and grit. However, sometimes passion overcomes rationality, and when Newbery was driven solely by his optimism, he became naïve. That naivety resulted in his dreams burning due to the mishandling of a burn zone. With this experience, the author taught the readers that to be vigilant is very important. Keeping your hopes up is a good thing, but your mind needs to be open to the negative aspects just as much.

Another aspect that added glitter to the already glowing book was the mention of economic disparity, the protests, growing gaps between the classes, the unfair usage of power by the police and the never-ending racism African Americans have faced over the years. The author taught never to treat anyone differently and even married an African American woman against social norms.

Even more inspiring than Newbery himself were his parents. They believed in him, helped him out, were always there to listen to his troubles, and always acted like a backbone. As an action of reciprocity, the author never stopped respecting them. Their relation was beautiful. It shows that if children are entrusted with unwavering trust, they can reach the stars and bring them back home.

The ending is perhaps the most delightful part, and the most vital lesson anyone needs. After all the trouble he goes through, in the end, he realizes the solution to his problems was nobody but he, himself. He was his own magic bullet. It advises the reader to believe that their most influential supporter is their own self, and believing in one’s self can change the course of life.

The book was professionally edited, and the writing style was straightforward and flawless. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as I cannot point out a single thing I disliked about the book. There is a brief mention of a strip club and a naked woman, but nothing too obscene to restrict it to any age group. This book would be an enjoyable read for people who appreciate autobiographies, and people stuck in their burn zones who are seeking inspiration. Lovers of adventure could equally enjoy this book.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 609
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: The World Hidden by Christopher Joseph
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

Newbery is indeed one of a kind. I have a copy of this book; I ought to read it soonest. Your terrific review makes the task urgent!

gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Life According to Grandpa by John Reseck Jr.

Post by gen_g »

I can definitely tell how much you enjoyed reading this book just from the review! Thank you for your insight.

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I can't agree more, that this book solely served the purpose of inspiring and instilling hope in its readers.
I also loved the introductory part of your review.
Well done!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

espo
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: The Non-Art of Parenting by Patricia King
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

I read this book too - and loved it. I also appreciated the endless support the author's parents offered to him, and more especially the fact that he highlights issues of racial privilege and injustice. Thank you so much for an interesting and well-written review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Dark Bliss by Shay Mills

Post by Prisallen »

This seems to be a very inspirational book for people who want to change the direction of their life. It reminds us that hard work, perseverance, and belief in yourself can help a person reach their goals. Thank you for your informative and interesting review!

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Anxious for Answers
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Online Meeting Survival Guide by Paul Richards

Post by MsH2k »

What a wonderful way to describe the young entrepreneur: “a starry-eyed young boy with dreams heavier than his shoulders.” Great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A clock with Feet by Miss Henny

Post by kandscreeley »

It's nice to see that the author's parents were encouraging and helpful to him. That doesn't always happen. I don't read a lot of memoirs, but this is one that I probably should. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Either Side of Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2 by Jesse Moreno

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciated the way you clarified how he went from superhuman to "just" human! Jorge's journey inspires readers because we see that his example is something we can achieve in our lives, too. Burn zones don't have to overwhelm us. Thanks for sharing your insights about this book.

DC Brown
2019 Reading Goal: 55
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: White Skin-Black Soul: A Family Book by Sandra Johnson

Post by DC Brown »

I agree with your take on the book. I found it inspiring. The phrase you used, from superhuman to just human, that is the point of the whole book, to me.

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps

Post by Charlyt »

I read this as well and I like how you highlighted the best parts of the book. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by SunVixen »

MsH2k wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 18:02
What a wonderful way to describe the young entrepreneur: “a starry-eyed young boy with dreams heavier than his shoulders.” Great review!
Words "a hard obstacle that can be overcome with wit and grit" are wonderful too. This a great review about great book. :D

djr6090
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Currently Reading: Inheritance
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: Skyseeker's Princess by Miriam Verbeek

Post by djr6090 »

I reviewed this book as well. Yes, he was inspirational and ended up being naive, but what I liked best is he put his money where his mouth was. He involved poor people in the actual management of their home complexes. There is little that can compare to that kind of faith in humanity.

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld »

This sounds like a great book, and I really enjoyed your review. Your writing is so engaging and the insights you share are so beautiful and true, and I really like how you describe everything. Everything about your writing is just a delight to read. Thanks for this enjoyable and well-written review!

bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote:
29 Mar 2020, 18:56
This sounds like a great book, and I really enjoyed your review. Your writing is so engaging and the insights you share are so beautiful and true, and I really like how you describe everything. Everything about your writing is just a delight to read. Thanks for this enjoyable and well-written review!
How nice of you! Thank you for reading it ♥️

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”