Official Review: Dirty Old Rags by Lori Rush

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: Dirty Old Rags by Lori Rush

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dirty Old Rags" by Lori Rush.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dirty Old Rags, by Lori Rush, is the story of one woman’s defining moment and how it has changed her life and the lives of countless others. Lori’s earliest memories are a mixture of childhood bliss and anxiety. Her mother’s affliction with mental illness and the tension this has caused the family was manageable with the support she found in her faith, her church family, and her siblings. Always with a “knot in the stomach” and always on the brink of a breakdown, Lori is going through the motions of life when a miracle provides her with an opportunity to organize the East Gate Foundation, a Christian ministry that is dedicated to helping those in need.

It is by chance that this book exists. Who would have thought that one casual conversation with a child could create waves of hope that permeate prison walls, medical bureaucracies, and the most calloused of hearts? The people and their trials are different, but the message is the same and reflects biblical principles that God is a loving and merciful Father who promises us that He is preparing a place for all who believe in Him.

The most intriguing part of this book is the transparency of the author’s words. Lori gives the reader an unfiltered testimony, and this is done with sensory details, emotive language, and the presence of tertiary characters. Weaknesses, attitudes, and raw feelings are unveiled throughout the narrative; one cannot help but identify with these fundamentally human characteristics that many try to hide. Feelings of survivor’s guilt, racial bias, along with resentment towards family members are prevalent in society today and are discussed in this story. The writing style of the author is expressive; sensory, simple, and profound all at the same time. A poignant example of this is how she describes the bond she shared with her brother. She writes that when her parents were fighting, her brother pulled up to the house, “went directly to my room” and held her until she fell asleep.

I cannot think of a single thing I dislike about the book, and there is nothing I would change. I gladly award this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the author’s voice described above. This book is thought-provoking and touches on many sensitive subjects, yet there is some humor sprinkled throughout the narrative. Cupcakes soothe survivor’s guilt. Prisoners like their bracelets. Running into young rappers on a mountain turns out to be a blessing. The book seems professionally edited, and I only found a few minor errors in grammar and spacing.

Although this book would be most enjoyed by Christians, I recommend this book to readers of all ages and backgrounds. All readers will appreciate the honesty and openness of this author and will feel that she truly believes in her own message. Throughout the read, she gives credit for her success to the Lord, and perhaps maybe, in reading this story, someone else who hovers on the brink may find solace in her words. Through her, they just might find that their struggles are part of His plan, a plan that we just cannot understand this side of heaven.

Dirty Old Rags
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

I find this quite intriguing with the book suggesting thatreligion can work out mental problems... Nevertheless am non religious... Thanks for the review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

This must be both an interesting and touching story. I am quite curious about that particular conversation with a child. Thanks for the review.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This must be a good book that was well written. This super review suggests that. I think I would read this book and I hope I will enjoy it as much as you did.
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

I didn’t like it because it was religious . I like books that Don’t portrays religions .
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

You wrote an wonderful review! I enjoyed reading it. I may read this book as well!
Mbalewechinonso
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbalewechinonso.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbalewechinonso »

What a faith filled book. The trials, pain and blessings are important to learn from knowing fully well that God is with us. She sure has a strong faith!!!!
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

This book is encompassing and touches almost every aspect of life. I hope to pick up some lessons from this work. Awesome review!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

This book seem like an interesting read. I would love to see how her walk with the Lord has helped her achieve success. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Her faith is really a strong one and I admire that. I hope to be educated further on how her walk with God has paid off!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”