Official Review: Huellas de mi caminar by Miguel Rivera

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: 7 Years Weight Loss, 7 Years Vegetarian, & 7 Years Organic by Mary Hubbard

Official Review: Huellas de mi caminar by Miguel Rivera

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Huellas de mi caminar" by Miguel Rivera.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of Huellas de Mi Caminar, the author, Miguel Ángel Rivera Vazquez, who is from Puerto Rico but lives in the US, lets readers know it is a true story that took place in Panama, a country he considers his second homeland. He explains that he made several trips to Panama, and during a visit to a school, a solitary, quiet, and sad-looking boy, who resembled the author’s son, caught his attention. He decided to get to know this little boy’s situation, which was very difficult. The book describes the boy’s journey and how a little help goes a long way.

The language used by the author was what I most liked about the book. He describes the boy’s extremely fragile situation in a heartfelt, endearing manner. For instance, I appreciated his description of how he arrived at the boy’s destitute home after a 90-minute journey, as well as the dire conditions he encountered. It’s heartbreaking to imagine a boy sleeping on the floor, with little to nothing to eat, in a house with no electricity.

There are also interesting facts about Panama in the book. The author describes how the construction of the Panama Canal (in 2012) boosted the local economy. Despite that, however, he explains how there’s still much poverty in the country. There are also several illustrations and encouraging affirmations throughout the book, as well as questions to reflect on.

I also appreciated how the book bears a positive message of hope and encouragement. The author posits that, as citizens, we should do all that we can to assist and support underprivileged kids in the pursuit of their education. The author comes across as a wholesome, upstanding, and admirable man; he is very passionate about helping people achieve their dreams.

In closing, there is nothing I disliked about this lovely book, and I give it 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason I’m taking a star away is that I found minor editing mishaps that prevent me from giving it the highest rating. Still, the language used by the author is clear and accessible; there’s no profanity and nothing offensive or inappropriate in the story. If you have an intermediate level of Spanish, this would be a good book to practice. I believe it can also be a good resource for social workers, counselors, and teachers, especially those who interact with kids in vulnerable situations. It is surely a valid title to be consulted in times of hardships and tribulations.

Huellas de mi caminar
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”