Official Review: Making Sense of Poetry by Rex W Last

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Official Review: Making Sense of Poetry by Rex W Last

Post by Ogoskino »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Making Sense of Poetry" by Rex W Last.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Making Sense of Poetry, by Rex W. Last, is a non-fiction book that seeks to help its reader come to grips with all the richness and complexities of poetry as well as provide the reader with the tools to grapple with the difficulties and fascinating challenges that poetry presents. First published in 1984, this is a second edition that has been largely rewritten and updated to contain a great deal of additional material.

The author starts off by answering questions about the relevance of poetry and the need to study them. He then outlines what he calls "the 12 commandments." These commandments are a guide to show the step by step process in the interpretation of poems. They are explained over twelve chapters. The author also includes exercises on poem interpretation for the reader and provides the solution to these exercises.

When I picked up this book, I had doubts about whether I would understand what was going to be talked about as it involved poetry, which is a topic I usually find difficult to comprehend. While I read the book, I had all my doubts about understanding poetry cleared, as the author broke down his message using a very simple and coherent language. I also liked that I had no distractions in the form of grammatical or typographical errors while I was reading, as the editing team did a flawless job.

I found this book to be very educative not only because it sought to interpret poetry but also because I was exposed to several words that I had not come across before. My vocabulary was widened as a result. I was also pleased that the author included the origin of some words and showed how their meanings evolved with time. For example, ‘pretty’ tended to mean ‘cunning’ in the 14th century. Then it changed to signify ‘good-looking.’

I liked that the author, understanding how boring poetry could be at times, adds humor to his explanations at regular intervals. This is an effective way of teaching, as it made me appreciate what he tried to explain faster. It also made me feel refreshed while I read, as I had some good laughs. Furthermore, I liked that the author included exercises on the interpretation of poems and their solutions to enable readers to test themselves having gained the knowledge that the book sought to teach.

There was nothing to dislike about this book, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The author structured his message very well and executed it with perfection. As a result, I rate Making Sense of Poetry by Rex W. Last 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for people who are interested in Poetry.

Making Sense of Poetry
View: on Bookshelves

NatRose
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by NatRose »

I've often felt like I should appreciate poetry more than I do, but I'm just not cultured enough or something. It sounds like this would be the perfect book to give me a better appreciation and understanding of poetry.

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: The Apathetical Man by Gregory Martin McLeod

Post by ivana7 »

I think this book would come in handy given that sometimes I have trouble understanding poetry. I like the fact that the author used fun and humorous details in the information he provided. Thanks for the great review!

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I love poetry but have not been able to give it full appreciation. I feel this book will do me a lot of good. Thanks for this review.

Salma_asa
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Meryl Streep: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Salma_asa »

I don’t understand poetry much. I may pass this book. Your review was very good anyway .

FEislandqueen13
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Yellow Scarf
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I love poetry. :D This book would be a great help to my gold of publishing a poetry book. Great review. :tiphat:

Gifted Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifted-soul.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Gifted Soul »

I believe I'll find this book a great source of knowledge in matters regarding poetry.
Thanks!
Just do it!

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I'm always intrigued by poetry. I believe they are highly meaningful. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:

Post by praise+anyi »

Poetry is among the arts that intrigues me. This book is going to serve as a manual to help clear some questions I ask when I read poems. Thanks for your revealing review.

Alex Bezan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alex Bezan »

Wow! This was wonderful to read, it made me think more and appreciate poetry. It was truly beautiful and inspiring.

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 363
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: A Golfing Genius by John Atkinson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

A book that help reader with tips to understand poetry better looks quite helpful. Thanks for your nice review on this book that enable to decide whether or not to buy this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: By the Hand of Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Shackles and More Gripping Tales by James Hanna

Post by Letora »

Maybe I should give this book a try. While I enjoy some poetry, I do think the deeper meanings behind certain poems don't even register to me. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Difficult by Charmlene Junis

Post by inaramid »

I don't really enjoy poems - unless they rhyme. Maybe I need a lesson on appreciating poetry. Thanks for the informative review!

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: I am a Soldier, First and Always: The Distinguished Career of Major General Winfield Scott Hancock by James Harold Kelly

Post by Tomah »

I used to enjoy poetry, but I never got really into it, and now it's been a while since I've last read or written a poem. This book sounds like a must-read for me since I would like to know more about the topic. Thanks for the review!

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Untold Deception
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Spirit Sword by Sam Ford
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I like poetry and find the Etymology of words absolutely fascinating. I think this is a book I would like! Thanks for the recommendation and the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”