Official Review: No Second Chances by Christopher Sherrod

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: You, Me and Destiny by J.F McLoughlin

Official Review: No Second Chances by Christopher Sherrod

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Second Chances" by Christopher Sherrod.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life on the inside was tough for Kyle Sherrod; he spent fifteen years in prison for house burglary. He managed a stealthy escape only to be arrested and brought back to serve the remainder of his sentence—and then some. While being incarcerated was difficult, nothing would prove to be as difficult as life on the outside. The freedom that came along with the completion of his sentence didn't feel like freedom at all. Despite his willingness to work hard and be an upstanding citizen, society didn't make things easy for a convicted felon. Struggling to find a suitable dwelling and decent paying job wasn't just challenging, it was impossible. Would Kyle be able to live the life he so desperately dreamed of, or would the harsh realities of reintegration lead him back to a life of crime?

No Second Chances by C. Kyle Sherrod is a non-fiction book about the author's fifteen-year stint in prison and his fight to regain a sense of normalcy once he completed his sentence. The author, who goes by Kyle in the book, was admirably transparent about his whole experience. From prison fights to being caught in a high-stress police chase, the author candidly shared every detail.

My favorite part of the book was Kyle's drive to persevere and plow through the obstacles that he seemed to be perpetually faced with. He dealt with a great deal of agony when having to sign over his parental rights for his daughter, Victoria, while he was incarcerated. Kyle could have fallen apart completely, but he was adamant that despite this dreadful outcome, one day, he would have a relationship with her. He also faced immense hardship while trying to obtain employment; he kept having doors slammed in his face. Still, he showed tenacity and resilience by refusing to give up.

Another aspect that I enjoyed was Kyle's ability to use humor in hard times. It was apparent that while incarcerated, he tried to make the best of things and wasn't afraid to joke around with the correctional officers, who didn't always share the sentiment. I think this proved to be an excellent coping mechanism for him.

I commend the author for writing this book in attempts to expose the injustices imposed upon him. It is heartbreaking to see how the justice system is supposed to be designed to rehabilitate and reintegrate criminals, but it is often not what it seems. There needs to be more programming put into place to help convicted felons smoothly transition back into society.

While the book had a few minor errors, they were not exhaustive and did not hinder my reading experience. No Second Chances was incredibly engaging and professionally edited; it held my full attention from beginning to end. With that being said, I have no reservations about giving it a rating of four out of four stars.

Due to violence and colorful language, I would not recommend this book to younger readers. For those put off by prison stories, I would skip this one as the author gives a real account of what life is like behind bars. On the contrary, if you are a fan of character-driven books that emphasize growth and the power of positive thinking, you don't want to miss out on this one!

No Second Chances
View: on Bookshelves

Laura Lee
Currently Reading: The Vanishing
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: Mum's Story by Vlora Morina

Post by Laura Lee »

Thank you for another good review. It actually sounds like a heartbreaking book and a testimony to how the "justice" system in the US needs to be overhauled.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cotwani »

Re-integration back to the community from prison is a thorny issue the world over. On one hand, some ex-convicts become worse. On the other hand, some truly reform. I agree more programing is needed.

Thanks for this great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Thank you for the honest review. I hope this book is able to revive justice in the system. Meanwhile, the cover did scare me to bones!

praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

There's this unnecessary stigma that goes with convicted fellows. I really feel for Kyle. It takes resilience, tenacity and courage to pull out of such a situation. If not handled properly, the victim might not only fall back to crime but also to depression.

Jbedf
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jbedf »

For those who have been incarcerated for a long time, aren’t always faced with a crime as big as burglary. Yet, they face more time then those who commit murder. This book can be very relatable, eye opening, and a heart to heart relevances to those who were in jail and to families that had to suffer from their loved ones being sent away for long periods of time . Great work !

Tavaiel26
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

This is such an interesting and under-explored theme. Life after incarceration is so hard in every country! Thanks for the review!

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld »

I really feel for Kyle and glad that he didn't give up. I hope he succeeded to build a happy life. I'm curious to read the book and find out. Thanks for the great review!

mitomzy65
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mitomzy65 »

I feel this is quite heart breaking and of course honest review, as it reveals the injustice on the part of Kyle and how he strife to live a normal life again.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Unforseen
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

It is very difficult to rebuild trust with society once a person has been incarcerated. It does cause an extra burden that doesn't become apparent until the person leaves the justice system. This is an eye-opening story. I enjoyed your review! Thanks.

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 120
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Swimming Lessons and Other Stories
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: San Diego and the Legendary Blue Fire by Dereak Columbus
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan »

Seemingly this one is not for me. Thanks for the insight. Nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Miraphery »

Prisoners all over the world face this challenge of reintegration into the community. Kyle however displayed courage and tenacity in the face of his challenges. This should be looked into to avoid prisoners reverting to a life of crime.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Enemy in the Mirror by Constance D. Dixon

Post by kandscreeley »

Humor is an excellent coping mechanism for everyone, in my opinion. I have heard, and I would imagine, that it's quite difficult to go back to "normal" life after being in prison. I know that this would be quite enlightening. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Stephanie Elizabeth

Laura Lee wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 19:02
Thank you for another good review. It actually sounds like a heartbreaking book and a testimony to how the "justice" system in the US needs to be overhauled.
Thanks for your comment!

Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 19:16
Humor is an excellent coping mechanism for everyone, in my opinion. I have heard, and I would imagine, that it's quite difficult to go back to "normal" life after being in prison. I know that this would be quite enlightening. Thanks!
Thanks!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”