Review by JoyALB -- The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Review by JoyALB -- The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor

Post by JoyALB »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Four Hats" by Drake E. Taylor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Four Hats by Drake E. Taylor is an interesting take on what the author believes is the best way to approach leadership. Using the the metaphor of four hats, he presents a fascinating new way of dealing with the many challenges that come with being a leader.

The first hat he talks about is the ‘Farmer’s Hat’. In this chapter, Drake explains how a farmer is similar to a leader. He also examines the six stages of farming and tells us what a leader can learn from these.

In the second chapter, the author introduces the second hat: that of the ‘Drill Instructor’. Here, he explains why tough love is sometimes needed and how to do it correctly. Using the example of a Drill Instructor, he shows exactly how a leader can be tough on his/her subordinates and still get the best results. All in moderation of course!

The longest chapter in the book is the one that deals with the ‘Psychologist’s Hat.’ Drake presents an in-depth look on how the psychologist hat is one that is needful, especially in this day and age. Empathy is often missing in many leaders, but a few moments of listening and understanding can go a long way.

The last hat is the ‘Self-care Hat’. The author reminds leaders of the importance of taking care of themselves and provides some great tips on how to do so.

I rate The Four Hats 4 out of 4 stars. It was easy to read and very entertaining with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. I finished it in one sitting! I particularly enjoyed reading about the author’s own experiences as a leader and how these inspired ‘The Four Hats’ theory. I truly believe anyone can benefit from this book, whether they are a leader yet or not.

Throughout the book, the author shares some quotes on leadership that he has learned and found helpful. This really helped ease the flow of reading for me. It also added a more personal touch as I felt I was learning more about the author through these quotes. Of course, they are also very inspiring.

Although there is no profane language, there were a few short words that could count as swearing. I believe the author just used these for emphasis. It in no way, shape or form detracts from the message.

Finally, the author adds a library of helpful tools, questionnaires, and some more inspiring quotes on leadership at the end of the book. Any leader can benefit from these.

I would encourage anyone who is a leader or who hopes to be one, to read this book. It will leave you ready to take on any responsibility to the very best of your ability no matter what challenges may come.

The Four Hats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

How creative is this theory of The Four Hates! It sounds like a useful guide to the leadership world. Wonderful review! Thank you, JoyALB!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Sushan
Currently Reading: The Borders of Normal
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan »

Seemingly the way the book is presented makes anyone immensed into it. Nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
JoyALB
Currently Reading:

Post by JoyALB »

InStoree wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 06:10 How creative is this theory of The Four Hates! It sounds like a useful guide to the leadership world. Wonderful review! Thank you, JoyALB!
Thank you for reading and commenting 😀.
JoyALB
Currently Reading:

Post by JoyALB »

Sushan wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 22:31 Seemingly the way the book is presented makes anyone immensed into it. Nice review 👍👍
Thank you for the comment 👍👍

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”