Review by xuanmaii -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
xuanmaii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xuanmaii.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by xuanmaii -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by xuanmaii »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones is an autobiography of the author himself, Jorge P.Newbery. But unlike other books that depict family life or love life, Burn Zones is primarily about Jorge's work life, from his earning money as a kid, to his shifting employment through various fields and finally working in the business. Through his journey, we see his upheavals, how he refused to be defeated, and how he built everything from scratch. This piece of writing is an inspirational statement that encourages readers to be ready to make life-changing decisions and take control of their own lives.

To begin with, the book is professionally edited, though in the reading process I did find one minor grammatical error. Moreover, the fact that the author attached a lot of photos along certain events made my reading process much more enjoyable. As for writing style, one cannot expect a work of literature rich in metaphorical resonances or simile in Burn Zones because it is non-fiction and thus is written as frankly and factually as possible. I found the way Jorge P.Newbery told his stories very comprehensible even though I knew next to nothing about loans, debts or housing mortgages, which were mentioned frequently as Jorge committed most of his time to this field.

My very first impression after having finished the book was that one can draw inspiration from it to achieve the impossible. There were challenges throughout the book, which Jorge accepted without hesitation; there were life-changing moments, which Jorge utilized to make influential decisions; there were burn zones that Jorge never failed to enter. At the end of the day, through ups and downs, through great hurdles and failures, through determination and passion, against all odds, the author turned something seemingly impossible into possible; he succeeded and thrived. In such a way, the book reminded readers to never doubt themselves, to be ready to test their limits and to always stick to their principles. I enjoy very much the lesson it brings: as long as you're willing, you can make it. Burn Zones reminded me of a quote in the book Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer: "A challenge in which a successful outcome is assured is not a challenge at all." Jorge P.Newbery kept telling me to step out of the comfort zone, take ventures and live my life to the fullest.

Furthermore, what I found very intriguing in Burn Zones was the social prejudices against people of color. Besides his business and his burn zones, Jorge P.Newbery also mentioned the anti-black racism a lot: many African Americans were mistreated; the majority of their deaths caused by police were regarded as "justifiable homicide" because of their skin color; the reaction of a black woman to being proposed by a white/Hispanic man was "Yes, of course. But are you sure?" because interracial marriage at the time was largely opposed;... and so much more. To quote a line from the book:" The best excuse for mistreatment of African Americans is to blame African Americans." This kind of discrimination, sadly, has not been eliminated in today's world. In the book, Jorge P.Newbery not only expressed his willingness to change the world for the better, but he also prompted the readers to share the same mind and be inspired to fight racism." You must be the change you wish to see in the world."-quoted from the book. This ethical aspect of the book should be taken into great consideration.

I give Burn Zones a perfect rating of 4 out of 4. From my perspective as a reader, the book is an amazing, inspirational piece of writing and I enjoyed every single line of it as well as its messages. I recommend Burn Zones to everyone. If you are a teenager struggling with your study or your future, read this. If you are hesitant when encountering a hurdle, read this. If you want to be inspired to make accomplishments, please read this. If you have interests in business and entrepreneurship, this book is definitely for you. Don't know how to start things from scratch after a huge failure? Well, you have to give this book a try. Burn Zones is definitely worth reading!

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Centurions Man by Michael Sansone

Post by kdstrack »

The idea of achieving the impossible is motivating. The author's life story inspires people to keep going, even if they have had to confront various challenges. I enjoyed your recommendations. Great review!

Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Driving In Budapest by Gary V. Brill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I also read this book, and it's crazy that one of the things I appreciated the most in it was the author's acknowledgment of racial privilege and discrimination. I have read many great reviews of this book, but this one was the only one who mentioned this! Thank you so much for a great review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”