Official Review: Damaged Goods by Maurice L Martin Jr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Overbrook Farms by Neal Goldstein

Official Review: Damaged Goods by Maurice L Martin Jr

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Damaged Goods" by Maurice L Martin Jr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“When false witnesses, including national leaders and Christian leaders, more concerned with ideology than with the truth, betray the trust of unsuspecting people, it is a basic violation of something essential for life together.”

Drawing from the teachings of Jesus documented in the Sermon on the Mount, Maurice Martin explains how Christian ethics have been damaged by American evangelicals, including himself. As a pastor, professor of ethics, and former Chief Operating Officer for the Christian international relief and advocacy organization, Food for the Hungry, Martin shares his findings in his compelling study, Damaged Goods: American Evangelical Ethics. Martin conveys his desire to go beyond identifying the damage and provide a path to repair it.

The 250-page book is well written and professionally edited. Martin's writing tone is informative without coming across as preachy. He differentiates between ethics, morals, and evangelicals and very clearly expounds on the concept that just as "...evangelicals are not alike in all particulars, Christain ethics aren't either." At first glance, it may be easy to dismiss some of the questions he poses as mere semantics, such as "American Christian or Christian American?" However, Martin carefully presents questions and thoughts that are supported by scriptures and contrasts them with the current political and evangelical climate in a manner that will appeal to readers who are willing to delve a bit deeper. On a personal note, I am a conservative Christian, and while I respect the office of the president, I cannot support the current administration. Martin articulates this dilemma better than I have seen it previously expressed: "...many others are wondering how Christians, evangelicals in particular, could be supportive of so much that seems so antithetical to a traditional understanding of historic Christian belief and practice."

There is a lot to like about this thought-provoking read. Martin sensitively challenges the acceptance of long-held beliefs by examining them through both the heartbreaking and inspirational experiences of himself and others. In one example, he refers to Corrie Ten Boom's autobiographical book, The Hiding Place. Martin contrasts the passionate beliefs of Corrie and her sister, Betsie, to illustrate the differences between Christian duty-based ethics and Christian character-based ethics: "Corrie was willing to lie to protect the people whom they were hiding, Betsie was not. The two sisters loved each other and were deeply committed to their faith, but they took different principled positions with regard to this incredibly difficult dilemma." I also appreciate that Martin does not shy away from hot-button issues, including ethics related to abortion, gun laws, and birth control: "It is a powerful absolutism that demands that we must have protected access to guns, but we cannot have protected access to birth control." In his final appendix, "Myths About the Poor," Martin debunks common misconceptions with facts, scriptures, and government statistics.

I am unable to name anything I dislike or suggest any improvements to this enlightening book. Therefore, I am pleased to rate Damaged Goods 4 out of 4 stars. In addition to being a pastor and ethics professor, Martin's experiences as a United States Air Force rescue helicopter pilot and his service in leadership for Food for the Hungry will appeal to a wide range of readers that extends beyond Christians and American evangelicals. The book contains an instance of borderline profanity.

Damaged Goods
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Two Once Removed by Jeffrey Curry

Post by MsH2k »

Cecilia_L wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 12:36
Martin carefully presents questions and thoughts that are supported by scriptures and contrasts them with the current political and evangelical climate in a manner that will appeal to readers who are willing to delve a bit deeper.
That statement sold me. This book is going on my list. Thanks for your thoughtful review.

SomaKenya
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somakenya.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SomaKenya »

The whole review is well written and the additional information on the writer at the end adds credibility and I Will surely add it to my "to read shelf" Thanks Cecilia

Elvis Ondijo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-ondijo.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elvis Ondijo »

Great review,am convinced to look for it some day

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

MsH2k wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 00:29
Cecilia_L wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 12:36
Martin carefully presents questions and thoughts that are supported by scriptures and contrasts them with the current political and evangelical climate in a manner that will appeal to readers who are willing to delve a bit deeper.
That statement sold me. This book is going on my list. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

SomaKenya wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 04:22
The whole review is well written and the additional information on the writer at the end adds credibility and I Will surely add it to my "to read shelf" Thanks Cecilia
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Elvis Ondijo wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 05:03
Great review,am convinced to look for it some day
Thank you, Elvis.

khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by khaulah »

A much needed book for current times where ideology is given more importance than truth. Thank you for your thoughtful review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: No One Has More Love Than This... by Warren Robinson

Post by kdstrack »

It would be interesting to read about how the author identifies the damage done by the church. It took courage and insight to admit to being the cause of spiritual harm to others. Your review has intrigued me. I like the author's honesty and would like to know about his proposed path to repairing the damage. Great review, Cecilia! This is one I want to read.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

khaulah wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 15:25
A much needed book for current times where ideology is given more importance than truth. Thank you for your thoughtful review!
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 16:21
It would be interesting to read about how the author identifies the damage done by the church. It took courage and insight to admit to being the cause of spiritual harm to others. Your review has intrigued me. I like the author's honesty and would like to know about his proposed path to repairing the damage. Great review, Cecilia! This is one I want to read.
Thank you. This one really challenged my thinking, and it is one I will likely reread. I hope you enjoy it.

Joshua Jose
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-jose.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Joshua Jose »

American christian or christian American?....I'd love to read the reasoning behind this interesting question. The book seems great!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Joshua Jose wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 10:02
American christian or christian American?....I'd love to read the reasoning behind this interesting question. The book seems great!
Thanks for your comment, Joshua.

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Faithmwangi »

I like the objectivity of the author. He not only points fingers but also admits he is equally part of the problem.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Faithmwangi wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 01:02
I like the objectivity of the author. He not only points fingers but also admits he is equally part of the problem.
Exactly. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”