Official Review: Divers by Jon May

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: 27 Amazing Windows 10 Performance Boosting Tips by Craig The Tech Teacher

Official Review: Divers by Jon May

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Divers" by Jon May.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Divers by Jon May is the author’s memoir, which discusses his career as a medic in ships with divers. The author explains the significance of divers in the petrochemical industry, as well as the difficulties, challenges, and adventures he went through as a medic. The author’s style is informal, personal, and direct, thereby engaging the reader in the events described in the memoir.

The writer begins by briefly describing the deep-sea diving industry, as well as the challenges faced by divers in deep-sea diving. The author continues by exploring his training as a medic, as he writes about the tests he completed and the preparation he went through before becoming an official medic in deep-sea diving ships. After becoming a certified medic, the author found some work in British industries, however, his career caused him to travel all around the world. He traveled to Bombay, India, but he also made visits to the South China Sea, in places like Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam. Overall, the author is pleased with his career and he writes about many scary, humorous, and exciting adventures he had as a medic.

There are plenty of positive elements in the book. More specifically, the author used humor in the text, which created a pleasant, funny, and light-hearted atmosphere, thereby grabbing the reader’s attention. Moreover, the author was very original in the description of events in the story, which adds creativity and individuality to the book. Also, the author added suspense, tension, and emotion to the text, thus successfully engaging the reader. What I liked most in the book was the fact that the writer followed a logical, clear, and rational structure, meaning that the memoir was coherent and chronologically ordered, thereby allowing the reader to comprehend the development of the events in the story.

What I disliked most in the book was the fact that the author made numerous grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, which undermined his credibility. Therefore, the book should go through another round of editing so that any errors are found and removed. I also disliked the use of vulgar words, which distract the reader from the main events described in the memoir.

This book is best suited for older readers who have some knowledge about diving. The book is more appropriate for older readers, as it contains numerous vulgar and profane words. The book is suited for readers of all religions, including non-religion.

All in all, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give the book a higher rating due to the number of errors. Nonetheless, a lower rating would have been unfair, as the writer has created a structured, original, and creative memoir.

Divers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: No Second Chances by Christopher Sherrod

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an interesting book for those interested in learning about diving. I like that the author is able to use humor! Thanks for the great review!

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Faithmwangi »

I don't know much about diving and I have been recently looking for material to help me learn. I think I'll give this a try.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 348
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: No One Has More Love Than This... by Warren Robinson

Post by kdstrack »

The variety of places visited makes this an interesting and attractive read. I also like the author's use of humor. I agree with your comments about the vulgar language and the errors. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”