Review by Alya17 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alya17
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alya17.html
Latest Review: Renewed and Restored by Temitope Ogunsakin

Review by Alya17 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Alya17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is an autobiographical account by Mr Jorge P. Newbery. This is not a rags-to-riches story, but rather one in which the author experiences numerous challenges or titular burn zones throughout his life.

This work reads more like a novel than a memoir. The events and dialogue are reminiscent of fiction rather than someone recounting his life. There are attempts at humour that seem almost sitcom-like, for example, every time Jorge corrected his father’s referral of him as Jorgie. Newspaper excerpts, song lyrics, sometimes even movie dialogue, and a full letter are included throughout the work. In the case of the letter, maybe it would be better served in an Appendix to avoid interrupting the narrative. The use of photographs and memorabilia from Mr Newbery’s jobs, however, was a nice touch. It helps readers connect with him on a more intimate level.

The writing throughout the memoir changes depending on the situation. In some cases, the writing is very conversational, as with most first-person narratives. A few of the emotional scenes contain run-on sentences which give the impression that Mr Newbery is reliving the incidents. The writing sometimes switches to reflective and pensive as well, where he compares a situation to a quote or lesson learned by inspirational figures like Mahatma Gandhi and Nelson Mandela. Other times, the writing is almost poetic.

While the objective of this memoir is to give an account of the author’s experiences, it also gives an interesting historical view of the period. There are descriptions of the relationship minorities have with the police, as well as issues involving general stereotyping and racism. The author compares the situation in his past with present-day America, where the reality of police shootings against unarmed African American men are juxtaposed with the actual reports. Mr Newbery also presents an interesting self-reflective view of racism. He notes that his skin colour saved him on more than once occasion from the racist treatments received by others.

This was an inspirational and enlightening autobiography, which would appeal to anyone experiencing challenges in life. It is not told linearly. The author does not go through trials and then gain fame and riches at the end. There are ups and downs and the challenges faced are presented in a raw way. I would give it four out of four stars. It was well edited, save for only a couple of minor errors. This work is especially inspirational to people of colour, given that Mr Newbery rose above his challenges as a Hispanic American.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

[Danielle]
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Alya17
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 611
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alya17.html
Latest Review: Renewed and Restored by Temitope Ogunsakin

Post by Alya17 »

[Danielle] wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 12:05
I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
It definitely seemed more like a story than an autobiography. There were some entertaining aspects and the author experienced some interesting situations so I think it's definitely worth a read!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”